Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts
Interesting. I've long theorized that both the mk4 and the mk2 would be worth a fair bit one day, much more so then the other gens. Being that the other gens are the development mules (mk4 is the mk3 with all its issues fixed, mk2 is a mk1 with all its issues fixed). Thats cool, but we don't need to get our shorts in a knot about these becoming worth so much that we can't drive them. The highest selling mk2 is still like 20% the cost of the highest selling mk4, and the average selling price of each is even less then that. You can still get deals on mk2s too, theres a nice black 85 for sale locally right now that needs a small ding fixed and to be reinspected, $1800. A really mint low miles one in Victoria too for $7000cdn, and its not that uncommon for lots in between those 2 ranges to pop up.

Sadly the replacement part issue is real. I did the reverse of you guys. I drove a mk2 as a daily from my teen years until just last year, then started driving an 03 Tacoma 5spd instead largely as it was getting too hard to get common replacement parts locally.

That Conquest looks really nice. Wish I'd seen it when it was first listed on the 15th, but now there's barely four days to go. I should probably be searching the web every day and not wasting time posting here, huh?. ;)

Are you actually serious about getting one?

I've a couple buds who have had them. Super cool cars, but inferior to ours in a couple key ways actually. The transmissions aren't great, too fragile for a japanse turbo car. The stock efi is garbage, throttle body injection. I was reading on wikipedia that they got upgraded to port injection though, just not sure if we actually got it here. Maybe just the 89s? Last, the heads suck. SOHC, not much you can do with them, everyone hates them. But anyways, the aftermarket has worked around most of the problems, and if your into keeping it stock they aren't too big of a deal.

I had an 87 ESiR. Great looking and handling car. Hated the electronics issues (like with most Mitsubishis). Motor had lots of low end due to large displacement and small turbo, but ran out of steam in the upper RPMs. The heads were weak between the valves and would often develop a crack when boost was upped. Loved owning the car though.

I'd just be into keeping one bone stock and taking it to car shows. Everyone at the local car shows has seen my current fleet a bazillion times and people aren't stopping to look or ask questions anymore. I haven't gotten anything new to show in eight years, so really I was just kinda getting the itch to get something different. I gravitated to a Starion for no other reason than that, like the Supra, I wanted one back when I was high school and college. But there were a LOT of cars that I wanted back in high school and college as well as plenty that I've wanted since. I just talked to a friend in Philly that I'd trust his judgement who said he might be able to inspect it for me, but I haven't gotten in touch with the seller yet. Being a holiday weekend, I'm not going to hold my breath.

I just talked to a friend in Philly that I'd trust his judgement who said he might be able to inspect it for me, but I haven't gotten in touch with the seller yet. Being a holiday weekend, I'm not going to hold my breath.
Got it checked out. It runs and drives like you'd expect for the mileage, but it needs considerably more work than shows up in the online pictures, including evidence of unreported accident damage. I'm going to wait for a better one or something else from my wish list. Maybe the coming economic depression will liquidate some car collections. But thanks for the heads up.

Its a good time to buy an MR2 Turbo btw. The collectors are starting to figure out that they're going to be worth a lot soon, they're starting to crop up in the "cars to buy now" lists, so I bet they will double in price within the next 5 years.

About 5 years ago maybe. I've been looking for one for years now. They're now up in Lotus evora or older Aston Martin money.

Here is the dealership site with extensive pictures on the car.

Used 1984 Toyota Celica Supra For Sale (Special Pricing) | Ambassador Automobile LLC. Stock #181
Ambassador Automobile Dealership listing

This car isn't perfect (which one is?) but it sure is nice!

A good reference for how things were put together on these cars.

Things like the imperfections on the car are perfect - hey an oxymoron if ever I've heard one!
After about 5 years the cam cover wrinkle paint started to peel off exactly like this.

This is a FABULOUS reference collection of photographs for restoration.

Dale

About 5 years ago maybe. I've been looking for one for years now. They're now up in Lotus evora or older Aston Martin money.
You're looking in the wrong places. We got the JDM ones up here so its diluted our prices somewhat. I actually passed on a really nice black body that came up on craigslist locally last year. No motor or tranny, started life as an NA, but really good body and interior and it was like about 4000 I think. It was so tempting. I don't actually like the stock motors these things came with all that much. A friend converted his NA to the all aluminum v6 from a 2010 Rav4, and its now the perfect MR2. Lighter and more powerful then a Ferrari 328, brand new Toyota reliability and a sweet 6 cylinder sound track. Also, that motor is easier to work on in the MR2 engine bay then the 3s motors are. Tons of room around it.

I'd have pounced on that black one.... but I kinda hate MR weight balance actually lol. I have all my cars, my stable is full (and then some).

Hey Dale. Yeah, BAT is a really good site for reference photos, and potential top dollar sales prices. Its really nice that the sold cars stay up on there forever for everyone to see what they went for, what condition they were in, and that they give you a nice chart over time of all the completed auctions of the same model.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.