Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

i was woundering if anyone could help me out, because i want to buy and install a new muffler. At the moment my car has got a 2.5" exhaust system but with a crappy muffler, (This was how got it). I want to buy a decent cannon muffler not only to improve looks but to also give a deep growl and make it louder. Im thinking of buying some sort of cannon style muffler off e-bay. But i guess my problem is when i get it how should install it? Should I cut off the existing muffler then weld on the new muffler? Is it as simple as that?

All comments Welcome!

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
if you want something good, thats gonna sound nice, get a dynomax, or a brullen or something quality... most of the stuff you find on ebay is cheap for a reason, cause its shitty.

as far as installing, id just go to a muffler shop and say please install this, itll probably end up costing you 10-40 bucks, depending on the shop, or if your handy with a welder, you can cut off the old one, weld some hangers onto the new muffler and weld it on the pipe.

do not forget the hangers, or your muffler will break off within a week.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah thanks for that.
I don't have a muffler shop in my town, but i spose my local machanic should be able to fit it.
Do u think i should have the Muffler comming out on an angle or just straight? Which do u think looks better?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yeah, I have one of these cannon stainless mufflers...because the back of the MKII's is quite open, you can see just about all of the muffler... :)

Word to the wise, it's extremely loud inside the car. It sounds just right from outside...nice deep bassy sound...but once you get inside and take it for a drive it's REALLY loud. After a while it can start to annoy you. Just thought I'd let you know... :)

Definitely looks cool though...adds to the MKII's already aggresive looks...as mentioned earlier, it will probably be better if you just get a mechanic or muffler shop to weld it on... :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey,

Thanks for the help! One more question did u hang the new muffler off the existing hooks?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hiya

Yup! The muffler and the rest of the exhaust is hanging off all the existing hook locations. To get the muffler to hang from the existing hooks, they just just welded a bit of metal at the end of the top of the muffler whick hooks up. You can't see it though because it's at the top of the muffler, tucked away under the rest of the car. Nice! :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey thanks,

Do you have a pic of your set up i can have a look at, to get an idea of how it will look :?:

Thanks for the help! :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey,

How much did it cost you to get it installed a muffer shop of mechanic?

Cheers

·
Registered
147 Posts
:)

That's no problem!

Sorry, I can't help you with any pics because I don't have a digital camera...argh! I was just thinking I wish I could of shown you a photo...I haven't seen any other MKII's which have this muffler...D'oh...so sorry. :(

It will look good though, don't worry. :) My muffler is straight on, not at an angle...There is little room under there and I'm not sure you could get a good angle...I like it straight though because it looks cool from the side profile. :D

Good luck and let us know how it turns out. 8)

·
Registered
279 Posts
on the topic of aftermarket mufflers, i just bought a Vibrant Performance 'Power1' muffler. Vibrant is a Canadian company (one which i've never heard of before), but the muffler is really nice. the casing and tips are stainless steel, and the muffler itself has a one-year warranty. the inlet is 2.5", and the outlet has dual 3" DTM-style tips. i swear, the thing weighs at least 20 pounds. :p i'm getting it installed next Monday, but i have to make another trip into Calgary to buy a couple parts needed to install the muffler; 'aluminized steel' strap clamps (i don't want weld marks on the muffler), and stainless steel exhaust hangers.

i'd imagine the Supra is going to sound pretty damn sweet when the muffler is installed; no catalytic converter, with a straight-through muffler :twisted: 8)

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
bobtheartist said:
definately straight.
Angled looks "ricey."
some time when you get a crushed bent exhaust system an angled muffler may allow less bends making it easyier for the gasses to flow out. Other wise the muffler shop would have to make all sorts of bends on the pipe just for it to be straight. I dont think this does not apply to the Mandrel bend pipes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dos anyone have pics of there Supras and/or there exhaust set up :?:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts