Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having lost one completely rebuilt Supra. 6 years in court getting the driver who totaled my car in to court. I going to pick up a new Supra tomorrow. I just called several insurance companies and even the Antique insurance companies say our cars must be valued at over $3,500.00 before they can offer coverage.

Long way around for this but, has anyone found any insurance companies that offer coverage for our Supras. Is there anything we can do with Toyota or the Japanese to start with the valuing of our Vehicles.

Just talked with the owner of my Toyota dealer here and ask him for a contact at Toyota. Hes getting me one. He says Toyota generally doesn't get involved in this and the current economic climate it not likely they will. We also discussed Currently available parts for these cars. Who at the site should this info be directed to?

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Is it going to be a DD or just a show car?

·
Boost-a-holic
2,560 Posts
Hagerty. I have mine insured for stated value.

·
Founding Member
6,408 Posts
J C Taylor here.

The only issue is the companies that offer "classic" and "collector" type policies place severe restrictions on the vehicles use. Basically, you better not have an accident in rush hour traffic or something happen to it "at the mall" or you're screwed. I.e. just show cars.

·
Boost-a-holic
2,560 Posts
Good point, Phil.

Hagerty is OK with the weekend "pleasure drives" (nebulous, I know) - the agent I talked to says that they understand that people drive collector cars on weekends, etc., but as Phil says - they won't pay if they know you're driving it to work.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the additional info. Phil and i have discussed this before. I have not called any of these Insurance companies yet but....I was not aware of what Phil has said about the difference in DD and Antique. The companies i have found so far.

Hagarty 1-800-838-4050
Grundy 1-800-338-4005
J.C. Taylor 1-800-345-8290

Anyone with anything additional to add about insurance please contribute.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Still need to know if it is going to be a DD, or just a show car......

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Owner of Rivergate Toyota is offering to get a list of all the parts Available threw Toyota for the Supra. Hes willing to give us as a group a 15% Discount on parts. They would be willing to ship the parts but that would be an additional cost. yes most of us can go down the street to the Dealer. For those who can not and would like the parts at the door? Is this a viable option?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chris. No i have a DD in my 83. But its not the investment i have in my 81 or the one that got totaled. But so far im into this in the buy and Repair $3,800.00.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
I would rather use Mark at Vancouver Toyota for parts. I made the mistake of going to my local Toyota dealer for 21 screws and bolts because they were close. Well it took a week to have them arrive at the dealer and the cost $38. Rush decision and repent at leisure.

·
Registered
136 Posts
When I got my insurance for my 82 L-Type my insurance agent said it was the same cost for minimal coverage or antique? SO I said DUH why limit myself to what I can do with the car. It was going to be for show only but now can be a DD if need be. That was through Liberty Mutual.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
i have progressive, did everything online n never have any problems with the coverage, $127 a month, for the 85 supra and my 00 Sable.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Chris. No i have a DD in my 83. But its not the investment i have in my 81 or the one that got totaled. But so far im into this in the buy and Repair $3,800.00.
I would say get with the collector car ones that you listed since it sounds like it will be more of a show car, and then if it does get in an accident, they (should) already have it appraised and you (should not) have to fight as much for $$$$ from damages. The only problem is that parts are becoming more and more hard to find, so if something happens 10 years from now, there may be nothing left but common hardware.

I am in a different boat since all the major work I have done can get swapped into another body if I get in a fender-bender (all it takes to total an old Toyota out).

·
Registered
472 Posts
i got state farm with liability at about 200 for 6 months. im 18, a male, multi car discount, good student discount, perfect driving record.

if i get in a wreck it will most likely be the other persons fault and i got no problem waiting to get money from the insurance company. i drive very carefully when im in my supra. i got 3 of em so i got parts to play with. :)

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
I've been researching this for the 82 garage queen. For those of us with USAA Insurance, I recommend someone else for non-daily drivers. I'll probably go with Hagerty. The USAA restrictions are silly, not allowed to leave the car unattended at a car show, not allowed to leave it in a motel parking lot (so forget SILV). I have no issue with 2000 miles/year, but I'm not about to camp out in a motel parking lot.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks all who contributed here. i did by the car. Got just full coverage but that only covers $1000.00 of the $3,500.00 I just spent. If i am at fault. I have noticed that no i will not answer the phone while I'm driving this car. I just feel too vulnerable when I'm not paying full attention. i will look into this further and report back

Thanks

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
This post coinsides with a post I was thinking of making so I'll ask the questions here:
On the "show car" coverage" or "antique" coverage is there an age requirement? With mine being an '86 I'm not at the 25 year mark yet and I don't know if it matters. IF the people with coverage could chime in with their coverage not just cost this would help the most, IE driving distances, things like the hotel parking that was mentioned and etc. I have been considering these options but don't know enough about it.

Also, for the younger guys, sure State Farm, Alstate or anyone else will insure your car and take your money but if you get into an accident they will not give you what it is really worth and that is the issue that most of us have.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Goddammit....so, BHG on the supra last monday. So its parked and I have a winter beater van... I check for insurance.... Royal Bank (RBC) is who I am with, under my mom I pay $370 a month, then if I put the van (Under my name) I have my own policy they want over $370 a month) =$4440+ wtf eh.

So I check with another company, they won't even insure the Supra. But have great rates on the van.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts