Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been thinking about this before, but only recently did I see that people have done this before.

Basically, take a standard 5mge piston, and use a CNC machine to accurately remove the dome. You would be left with a low compression, "stock" piston.

We know that low dome pistons are 8.8 compression (on 5MGE). I'm trying to target an 8.5:1 stock compression.

What I need help with, is determining the compression after the piston is shaved. If you are a guru with the numbers, maybe we can work together, and maybe you will get your set shaved for free :)

For the rest, who is interested? The cost of the piston set would vary, because the cost of the actual pistons is all over the map. However, if you have a set of brand new pistons, you want to send in to get shaved, we can work on that too.

Another issue is confirming that the piston is thick enough internally to handle this shave. Different manufacturers may have different designs.

If anybody has a piston (or a set), that they want to send in for testing, I would be interested.

I'd only like to do it on new pistons though.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If anyone has the minimum piston thickness spec, please let me know. I'm going to cut open a stock piston and see how thick they are with/without the dome.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts