Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am batting clean up on this project 85 Supra and loving all the work put into it by prior owners. I have basically come in to tweak it to perfection and wanted to publicly give kudos to all the prior owners. The first owner Dustin did a nice build thread here which reviews Majestic Motorsports NC terrific body and suspension work. After some engine issues I presume Dustin’s friend took on this Supra without an engine and put in the 2JZ single turbo. He moved to Oklahoma and sold it on bring a trailer with AC delete and tune problems holding idle to owner three in Washington State. Owner three spent a year dealing with turbo issues and making it more dependable, new water pump, timing belt, ATI crank pulley, steering rack etc. He also bought a lower mileage donor car to redo the interior. Adding lizard skin to entire floor in the process. I became owner number four and it was shipped to Tampa Florida. So far my primary work has been re-installing an AC system which is not small feat. The installed AC now kills the car at idle so I am in the process getting a custom idle air control valve done and wiring the AC into the AEM computer. I am also doing a bunch of other clean up, original 2JZ cover, black AN fittings/hoses, updating some of the wiring connectors etc. I also switched out the 4.30 lsd with a 3.73 lsd from an 82 or 83 which is much better matched to 2JZ, it is very smooth now.

To take advantage of the side molding deletes I thought running TRD stripes down the side would look good and matching the wheel flares and front spoiler to the painted gloss on the front bumper and hatch spoilers would show off the 80s Celica Supra bolt on body parts look. I was originally thinking of contrasting the gloss with a matte army green I had seen done in UK years back but Redline Design here in Tampa said army green has been done a lot and recommended the Avery Matte Khaki Green. I liked it because it was a bit of an homage to the lighter greens in the original Celicas. I am also working on adding a yellow or orange spearco style turbo decal to the hood to bring some balance to the TRD stripes in back and all the turn signal colors.

Parts are too many to list but following is a summary list: JDM 2JZGTE; Master Power Turbo; Dr Tweak harness; AEM v2; LQ9 Ignition; 1050cc inj; E85 ready fuel system; blitz intercooler; griffin radiator; SPAL fans; Tial 44mm WB; Tial MVR 44mm BOV; R154 trans; Act PP & 6-puck plate; 3.73 lsd diff; Haltech Racepak display; t3 Camber plates; KYB Struts; Eibach springs; Raptor Camber Mod; willwood big brake kit; simmons wheels 17x8 +10 front; 17x9.5 +0 rear; mk3 front spoiler lip; and lots of fun with a rattle cans of semi flat black and POR15.

Again kudos to the prior owners and this will be a regular driver soon.

·
Premium Member
5,949 Posts
It's great to buy a car that has not been hacked up :Bailing wire,poor wiring repairs,sloppy aftermarket radio install,goofy hacked up wiring for ANYTHING. It's easy to do sloppy bodywork and paint.
"Ah, just fill it with plastic".Not removing the trim B-4 painting and more.Looks like excellent body and paint work!

Are you concerned that the mostly stock drive line could fail? Just no 6,000 RPM clutch dumps,please.Especially with drag radials or a hatch full of bricks.
Yes, you need A/C in Florida.
You did very well to buy this Supra!(y):cool:
May see see the engine,next time please?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's great to buy a car that has not been hacked up :Bailing wire,poor wiring repairs,sloppy aftermarket radio install,goofy hacked up wiring for ANYTHING. It's easy to do sloppy bodywork and paint.
"Ah, just fill it with plastic".Not removing the trim B-4 painting and more.Looks like excellent body and paint work!

Are you concerned that the mostly stock drive line could fail? Just no 6,000 RPM clutch dumps,please.Especially with drag radials or a hatch full of bricks.
Yes, you need A/C in Florida.
You did very well to buy this Supra!(y):cool:
May see see the engine, next time please?
Yes alot of quality work went into the car and it shows, not one ding or unclean line. The driveline is not a worry because I understand the hookup stress and the cost of strengthening it. On my 280z 2jZ I went the CD009 route with ford 8.8IRS grannis built diff and porsche 930 CVs and it was alot of money so I am going the enjoy and drive route with this one. At least until its not an option.

Engine pick follows but I have a lot more to do so it is still kind of raw.

·
Founding Member
6,424 Posts
To take advantage of the side molding deletes I thought running TRD stripes down the side would look good and matching the wheel flares and front spoiler to the painted gloss on the front bumper and hatch spoilers would show off the 80s Celica Supra bolt on body parts look. I was originally thinking of contrasting the gloss with a matte army green I had seen done in UK years back but Redline Design here in Tampa said army green has been done a lot and recommended the Avery Matte Khaki Green. I liked it because it was a bit of an homage to the lighter greens in the original Celicas. I am also working on adding a yellow or orange spearco style turbo decal to the hood to bring some balance to the TRD stripes in back and all the turn signal colors.
Good choices. I'm surprised, I usually lean toward originality as I remember drooling over these cars shiny new paint at the Toyota dealer back in the day, but I kind of like it. I also remember the stripes watching stuff like the Toyota Celebrity races on TV back then.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Car guys are all different sorts of crazy and if you like my picks your towards my kind of crazy. Every time I go to my body guy or interior guy or tint guy its the same thing because they are all younger, "another 80s car?" "what is it with you and these 80s cars?" ...and I just smile.

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
Hey! Just stopping in and saying hi, and love the attitude. Usually people are complaining about the things the POs did lol.

Looks good with the TRD stripes!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finished off look. Added hood stripes to balance the front with the rear TRD stripes. Design started with 80s Spearco turbo hood stripes then made it solid as opposed to spearco pin stripe style and added car specific 2JZ.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Out of topic--
5 toy cars (not toy as in toyota),
have enough garage space for all of them?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Out of topic--
5 toy cars (not toy as in toyota),
have enough garage space for all of them?
Ah yes, Bendpak autostackers. Turns a 3 car garage into a six car garage if you have clearance or lowered cars. Not great for under engine work but easy to stack cars.

·
Tomitoyo
41 Posts
I also prefer original aesthetics, but you can see that this is a very good job in this car ... congratulations, excellent !!!

·
Founding Member
6,424 Posts
Ah yes, Bendpak autostackers. Turns a 3 car garage into a six car garage if you have clearance or lowered cars. Not great for under engine work but easy to stack cars.
I have a single four-post lift that I have used to stack cars on occasion, but wow! I am really tight on space when it gets that bad. I have five vehicles now. I can fit six if I use the lift to stack but that makes it inconvenient to use it for repair/restoration work. I'm actually considering trading in my daily driver next spring for something that would qualify as a "beater". Unfortunately, my office is relocating next April to a building where I will no longer have a parking garage. But it occurred to me that if I had something like an Accord, that maybe I could just leave it outside on the driveway at home too, then that would free up a space for another classic car indoors. I just don't know if I can do the whole "beater" thing. I tend to be too obsessive-compulsive about my cars. Alternatively, I've thought about another lift, but with my layout, another four post would cut into shelving which is equally as important for spare parts and tools. I was recently looking at a single-post option, but its already pretty darned inconvenient having to move one car to get another car out without having to operate lifts too (and then move two cars to get a third out) so that's why I'm leaning toward the outdoor "beater" alternative.

Reactions: Victro85
1 - 12 of 12 Posts