Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of getting a 7mgte swapped into my auto 83 MKII. Do you guys think that having it done for $3900 is worth it? I just hand them the keys and they supply everything else (motor, tranny, turbo, etc.). Comments?

·
Registered
991 Posts
Hard call to make.

3.900.00 is a good price. How well do you know the people putting the engine in? I wouldn't advise letting anyone you don't know do it. A lot depends on the quality of the 7mgte being installed and on the quality of the workmanship. That said, the 7mgte upgrade is great!!!!!!

I have a 7mgte in one of my 83s (5 speed) and it is awesome. Make sure the people doing the work have done an 83 before. The transplant on an 83 is not the same as an 84 and up car. The electrical wiring is different and so is the fit of the engine and intercooler pipes.

Most important, as I've said, is the quality of the new engine and WHO is doing the install.

Good Luck
Leslie

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
MkIISuperSupra said:
Hard call to make.

3.900.00 is a good price. How well do you know the people putting the engine in? I wouldn't advise letting anyone you don't know do it. A lot depends on the quality of the 7mgte being installed and on the quality of the workmanship. That said, the 7mgte upgrade is great!!!!!!

I have a 7mgte in one of my 83s (5 speed) and it is awesome. Make sure the people doing the work have done an 83 before. The transplant on an 83 is not the same as an 84 and up car. The electrical wiring is different and so is the fit of the engine and intercooler pipes.

Most important, as I've said, is the quality of the new engine and WHO is doing the install.

Good Luck
Leslie
You mean to tell me,I'm going to have problems if I convert my 83 AT car ? :D J/K

Listen to Leslie,make sure whoever is working on the car,knows what they are getting into.

Leslie,can you send me that relay mod ? I am seriously considering converting the 83,it's kinda growing on me 8)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I must be asleep when I was typing last night. :sleeping: I have an 84 p-type and not an 83. Have any of you heard of a guy name Jeff Tamulis? He's is based out of atlanta, GA and said he has done 2 MKII conversions. Anyone know how his workmanship is?

·
Registered
991 Posts
[quote\]
Listen to Leslie,make sure whoever is working on the car,knows what they are getting into.

Leslie,can you send me that relay mod ? I am seriously considering converting the 83,it's kinda growing on me 8)[/quote]

Shawn,

Sure I can......it might cost ya :lol: JK.
I actually found the write up on the mod. I'll email it to you direct.
I know the feeling of the 83 growing on you......... :D

Leslie

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
I have not seen Jeff's work,but have talked to him,and he seems to know his stuff.
Just wish I could get parts cheap enough to offer those kind of deals.The last 2 cars Don C. and I did worked out to about $5hr and beer :) You would have to ask Leslie how bad the beer tab was,but I think we made another $3-5hr from him there :lol: It's all about wanting to see more fast Supras,and meeting new people anyway,but I just had to pick on Leslie.Haven't seen him in a year.

Shawn

·
Founding Member
6,405 Posts
Surely a couple of people have seen it because Jeff was behind Chris Parvin's car which was at the Texas meet in Houston a couple weeks ago. I wasn't able to go this year, but look here www.mvpmotorsports.com/tx2k3 to see who went and email them direct and ask.

Don Culbertson up in Washington state does a really professional job and has done 8 conversions. He charges in the neighborhood of $5500 which is very reasonable considering the work that goes into one of these so by comparison, the $3900 price is an absolute carjacking. I'm not sure if Jeff is trying to make this part of his primary business or not, probably not or he'll starve to death for sure ;-) but I'd be prepared to do without your car for a while whether you go with Don or Jeff and thats probably the only downside to having someone do it for you. Is that a run-on sentence? Let them do their thing and try not to rush them otherwise they might not do as good a job.

Phil

Pokeguy5354 said:
I must be asleep when I was typing last night. :sleeping: I have an 84 p-type and not an 83. Have any of you heard of a guy name Jeff Tamulis? He's is based out of atlanta, GA and said he has done 2 MKII conversions. Anyone know how his workmanship is?

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Phil,the last few that have left the shop have been $7-8k done.Can't find enough donor cars,and piecing one together is cost/time prohibitive.

Shawn

·
Registered
991 Posts
Junkie said:
You would have to ask Leslie how bad the beer tab was,but I think we made another $3-5hr from him there :lol:

Shawn
3 to 5.00 an hour extra.......I could have gotten by that cheaply?? :mad:

Oh man, I got screwed..... :Fade-color

But the Blondes....and the hard lemonaide....I have no complaints at all :lol: I consider myself very lucky to be one of the few with a DonC ShawnP transplants.

You also have to remember, that the transplant takes time. In most cases it involves a very long trip....Both of these can easily add a thousand or more to any transplant that you pay someone else to do. A quick trip home can have it's own perils. Don't remember any stories from Jim but Jay and I both had adventures on the way home. Of course I took off immediately and put 1,800 miles on the transplanted engine so you have to be prepared for some excitement.

Personally, I would advise a new alternator, new starter, custom down pipe, 3" cat and exhaust, all new intercooler piping, boost gauge,all new hoses (water and air) and especially a freon charge included in the price. I wouldn't do it any other way. And, NO we didn't do all those things durning my transplant but I wouldn't do it without, again.

One thing for sure, if you get the job done right, it will cost you more than anyone quotes you. You might as well be prepared for that.... :( In my humble opinion, there is absolutely no point in doing it if you aren't going to do it right. Just my opinion.

Leslie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts