Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:?: If i go with the 7mgte can i still use the same tranny from my 5m :?:
What is the best swap for my car

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Yes you can still use the W58 on a 7MGTE but you would have to use the 5M flywheel (so I hear)

I would say that the best swap you can go with the mk2 would be the 2JZ, if you have the money for it :twisted:

I almost forgot, you can also use the search button to look more into this :wink:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Go with the 7MGTE. It will have plenty of power for the light MK2 and is easy to mod. it is also the least costly. You will need to put your W58 tranny in it though. i found out the hard way that the R154 tranny that comes with the 7M is too big. You will have to use the W58 flywheel also.

·
BIG BOSS HOSS
4,460 Posts
5mgteSupra84 said:
Yes, you can/have-to use the W58.

What year is best? 89+ is best for electronics, better flowing head and better exhaust manifold to name a few. On the flipside the 6m crank from the 87-88 is is more advantagous as it can rev higher than the 89+. The 6m crank has fewer counter balances than the 7m hence the propensity for more rpms. Good luck in finding a nice 89+ donor, they are quite rare compared to the 87-88 models.

If I had to do it over again I'd use a 5m crank with some stiffer valve springs and a raised rev limiter. :)

The 7mgte swap is quite common and there are serveral nice pages devoted to this topic. Do some reading! ;)

·
Registered
870 Posts
How about that, my 7mgte is from an '89 but with older style crank. It revs freely to 6500. :p BTW, it really don't matter which year you go with as long as you stay with same year electronics and wiring. This is true especially if you source out parts instead of using a donor car.

·
Registered
111 Posts
5mgteSupra84 said:
you can use the w58.but you have to use the 5m or 7m(not turbo) flywheel

·
Super Moderator
8,395 Posts
The 7MGTE flywheel has the dowel pin and bolt hole patterns for the pressure plate at a different angles with respect to each other compared to the 5/7MGE flywheels. I found this out with my aluminum flywheel. I had a GTE flyweel and the bolt holes wouldn't line up when it was on the dowel pins. That actual bolt hole pattern is the same though.

·
Registered
119 Posts
well guys i heard that you can stilll use the 7m tranny.its just that to be able to use the tranny you would have to shave the tranny tunnel to make it bigger.not to sure but i think i might be right.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Technically you can use the R154 tranny... but like was said you need to "massage" the tranny tunnel. Its really a delicate procedure... you need a tool capable of REAL delicate adjustments... something along the order of a 15 pound sledge works nicely :)

·
Registered
862 Posts
I got the r158 in my car no problems, only thing is you have to get a drive shaft made and put 1 1/4 inch spacers between the tranny mount and frame. The tranny sits a little low but it dose fit. I had an auto mk2 and the 7m I got came with the tranny so I had to use it. I thought it was going to be hard but it was EZ. :lol:

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
It's real tight near the floor board tunnel (near your feet).

It's because the main case is fatter.

This is where some tunnel mods are required.

The shifter position is offset from stock, so one may need to
changed the engagement "bracket" to use the W58 shifter housing.

New drive shaft is required.

That said, I have gathered some info on some MK3 guys running under 400hp with a W58. (7MGE coverted to turbo).

But since they know the W58 gets fragile at some point, they drive accordingly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts