Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1985 celica/supra, but im wondering if there is such thing as just a celica model of that same year, not the joined model. :D :D :D :drinking:

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
There are two celica models in 85. The gt (solid rear axle) and the gts (independant). If I recall correctly they both ran the ...22RE motor???

Why do you ask? Can't handle the Supra?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
supra vs. celica

the thing is im just wondering if the body styles are the same. I own an 85 black supra but i need a new front bumper assembly for it. I was just wondering if one from a celica of the same year would fit the celica/supra model I have, thats all.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The bodies are quite different. Shorter wheel base, shorter nose. Didn't have to fit a strait six under the hood. Even the wiring in the Celica versus the Celica/Supra is different. From my experience with Celica's about the only thing your going to be able to swap back and forth are interior pieces. Even then there are quite a few differences, some stuff just won't fit properly and/or look right.

To answer your specific question. The nose won't interchange, at least not directly. I'm certain it could be modified, but I don't know how that would look on a supra.

·
Registered
306 Posts
from the firewall back they are both A style cars. They are almost the same except suspenion, gearing and some body pieces.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Are the rear A arms the same as the celica gts??? I've got a parts Celica GTS and my 82 L type. I know the rear cradle is different due to the different diffs but I don't know if I should save the A arms, half shafts ect?

(sorry if I'm jacking the thread a bit...) :oops:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
celica vs. supra

so i guess i cant use an 85 celica front bumper than can I for my 85 celica/supra??? I cant find any bumpers at junkyards made for a supra.....

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
That's a big no....

On the Celica, it's just that... A bumper cover.... Can't rememeber if the lower airdam is attached to the bumper cover also.

On the Supra, you have the bumper cover, the lower airdam, and the black "surround" area (the big rectangular piece that surrounds the orange corner lights-turn signal lights/foglights/grille), and it's all 1 piece. Thus the reason why the Celica bumper is not compatible.

Good luck finding one locally. Shipping a MKII bumper cover is not a easy thing to do, because this is considered a oversize item, thus some shipping company's (UPS, FedEx, etc) will not accept them.

·
Registered
153 Posts
If it's any help they should still be available from Japan, assuming the dealers will ship one across for you. I got one shipped to Oz about 6 months or so ago.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
ma61_turbo said:
If it's any help they should still be available from Japan, assuming the dealers will ship one across for you. I got one shipped to Oz about 6 months or so ago.

WHoooooooh.....Thats bound to be expensive. You could buy a whole new car(85' supra) for what you would spend.

Or just do what I did with my 85'.....Although the wrap around turn signals are very nice, I did not Absolutly need them and just went with an 83 bumper and fenders......didn't mind the color mismatch because the car is a primer beast. 82, 83, 84 bumpers are Much easier to find.

·
Registered
247 Posts
To answer most peoples questions about parts swapping between a 85 Celica GTS and a Celica/Supra: anything from the firewall back is identical with the exception of the bolt holes in the fender flares and the hatch. The hatches are the same but the Celica came with no wings of any kind. The flares will fit but you have to redrill two holes. The interior pieces are the same as long as the options are the same, ie. if you have automatic climate control on your celica and not on your supra it will not swap directly over. Rear suspension is identical.
In front of the firewall: strut cartridges will swap but may be valved differently depending on the manufacturer, same with the springs, they'll swap but will be different rates. Wheels, tires, brakes, hubs, but not spindles are the same. The spindle/strut tube assembly is angled differently and will throw off your camber if you swap them. I've heard random engine parts are the same, such as throttle bodies but haven't been able to verify this myself, radiators are different.
In general, if it's behind the firewall it will either bolt right up or will fit with minor effort, if it's in front of the firewall it probably won't fit. I've learned all this from lots of swapping parts or helping friend's swap parts. If you have any questions or are in the Santa Barbara area and want help just let me know.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts