Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Update Oct 16 2021. We got it started yeppie. Here is the issue now. If we advance the timing then we cannot see the timing mark on crankshaft as it goes above 15, but car runs great. If we stick to the manual on specs for the 5MGE 85 Supra it runs rough. Below is the update for and suggestions. Thank you in advance: 5MGE 1985 Supra

Oct 16, 2021 video: New video by Lawrence Bagnell

Pulled timing belt again and lined all marks up by pulling #1 spark plug and raising to highest point, pull valve cover and turned cams to open marks and inserted bolt to lock in place, pulled timing belt and realigned, had crankshaft to zero. Car starts and runs rough. Updated video

It starts. Set timing to 10 degrees and idling rough. Tried to advance distributor one tooth, the two teeth, then back one tooth, two teeth and now to marks as described to set distributor above. It only runs with settings now as stated above.

What could be the problem?

Timing was is set

EGR valve all good

Injectors - cleaned and reinstalled

Compression good

Fuse - All good

Relay - check relays and they are in good working order

Fuel injector clips replaced

The car in order to be inspected needed a catalytic converter installed. All worked well with the car for about a year and then the misfire started to occur and I noted an exhaust leak between the pipe connecting the catalytic converter and the exhaust manifold pipe. Going to sh#* can the catalytic converter and run straight pipe soon.

video: New video by Lawrence Bagnell

·
Registered
1983 Red Mk2 M/T 7MGTE Swap, Bone stock M/T Black Mk2 1984, 1989 Red Mk3 A/T Turbo
224 Posts
I had similar symptoms and my solution was that one of my rocker arms fell out of the cam tower! Id pull the valve covers off and inspect to see if they are in place.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sounds exactly like mine when my number 1 injector stopped working, shaking like mine was too. I know you said you replaced the metal clips, but it was the injector connector wire pins for me. The tabs that hold the pins inside the connector were brittle and broke, and then the wire pins worked their way loose from the injector pins. The connector itself was still on the injector but no connection with the pins, I could pull the wires with pins right out of the connector. Might not be your problem, but it does sound like a misfire to me. But I'm still fairly new to the 5mge so... I could very well be wrong.

·
Premium Member
6,253 Posts
If you have an issue with with those pesky connectors, see NAPA. They also have the plugs for the temp sensor.
The pins corrode.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update Oct 16 2021. We got it started yeppie. Here is the issue now. If we advance the timing then we cannot see the timing mark on crankshaft as it goes above 15, but car runs great. If we stick to the manual on specs for the 5MGE 85 Supra it runs rough. Below is the update for and suggestions. Thank you in advance: 5MGE 1985 Supra

Oct 16, 2021 video: New video by Lawrence Bagnell

Pulled timing belt again and lined all marks up by pulling #1 spark plug and raising to highest point, pull valve cover and turned cams to open marks and inserted bolt to lock in place, pulled timing belt and realigned, had crankshaft to zero. Car starts and runs rough. Updated video

It starts. Set timing to 10 degrees and idling rough. Tried to advance distributor one tooth, the two teeth, then back one tooth, two teeth and now to marks as described to set distributor above. It only runs with settings now as stated above.

What could be the problem?

Timing was is set

EGR valve all good

Injectors - cleaned and reinstalled

Compression good

Fuse - All good

Relay - check relays and they are in good working order

Fuel injector clips replaced

The car in order to be inspected needed a catalytic converter installed. All worked well with the car for about a year and then the misfire started to occur and I noted an exhaust leak between the pipe connecting the catalytic converter and the exhaust manifold pipe. Going to sh#* can the catalytic converter and run straight pipe soon.

video: New video by Lawrence Bagnell

Question? If the car 85 supra MKII is timed to 10 degrees and running and I pull the number one plug wire, should the engine slow or stay the same. When I pull 2-5 engine slows. When I pull number six plug wire no change like number 1 plug wire.

·
Super Moderator
8,822 Posts
It should do the same for every cylinder since you're basically turning it into a 5 cylinder engine.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Process of elimation.elimination
Is there a spark?
Is there compression?
Is there fuel?
Timing is usually the LAST thing to suspect. Valve timing is a bit different.
See the TSRM to start.
MK2 TSRM On-Line (cygnusx1.net)
Going to start car and run a few minutes then pull spark plugs 1, 2 6 to see if fuel is burning on plug. that would conclude injector is working.

·
Premium Member
6,253 Posts
An easier way. Carefully unplug each sparkie wire while engine ON. There should be an RPM drop for each cylinder. Don't get zapped. I have "Chicken pliers" made of fiber.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
An easier way. Carefully unplug each sparkie wire while engine ON. There should be an RPM drop for each cylinder. Don't get zapped. I have "Chicken pliers" made of fiber.
So when I pull cylinder 1 or six there is no drop in RPMs. Pull plugs and smell fuel burning on plugs. 2-5 all cause drop in RPMs. Any ideas on issue?

·
Premium Member
6,253 Posts
Many possible. You may have a vacuum leak at #1 and #6.Fouled sparkies. No spark to those cylinders. Low compression.

·
Registered
436 Posts
So when I pull cylinder 1 or six there is no drop in RPMs. Pull plugs and smell fuel burning on plugs. 2-5 all cause drop in RPMs. Any ideas on issue?
Need more definitive testing.

1. Ignition - Test for spark by installing spare plug on each wire you pull out. Make sure #1 and #6 has as strong spark as others.

2. Fuel - Final functional test of entire fuel-system is to pull rail with injectors attached. Place little cups under each injector and crank engine for 10-sec. Verify each cup contains identical volumes of petrol.

3. Air + compression - compression-test with warmed-up engine

1 - 14 of 14 Posts