Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is Wilwood worth the $$$$

Starting a rebuild and want to know if the extra cost of a Wilwood brake set up really be worth the money.

·
Whistles
1,052 Posts
I'm on the Wilwood kit Raptor sells and I like it. I had to get the front rotors turned straight out of the box, and the rear calipers are ever so slightly not lined up right. There is a thread around here discussing that problem.

There are other upgrades I have seen using OEM calipers from other vehicles, but I have not needed to research those, so I hope someone can help you.

There are cheap brake kits that look cool, but I wouldn't run them on any vehicle for safety and liability reasons. Even Wilwood calipers flex when they get hot enough, but they are perfect for most people wanting the best offering for us. Great for autocross and 1/2 mile stuff.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Like the previous post stated, there are an amazing array of options that forum members have found over the years. Wilwood are certainly a good choice, but is the cost worth the benefit? That depends what you do with your car. If you intend to autocross or do an occasional track day, they might be worth it.

I only race my Supra in Champcar/WRL and find that the Nissan Z32 calipers and Mazda MPV rotors on the front of the car are more than adequate for what we do (15-24 hour races with speeds up to 130 mph). They're so strong that I still use OE rear calipers and rotors. Other than re-drilling the rotors for our 4-bolt pattern, this is truly a bolt-on upgrade.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My plan for the car is strictly for sunny day driving, pushing it on some nice twisty scenic roads, maybe the odd time on a track but no more than that. ( but they look really sharp ) probably not wroth the investment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts