Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

After taking almost a year to finally get around to replacing my HG on my 85 SDR I start it up 2day and she instantly starts to smoking again !
ARGH. I think I have a hairline crack somewhere that the machine shop did not find.

Anywho, a friend had the unfortunate luck of totaling his 01 IS300 a few months ago and I bought it still running for $1,000.

I was keeping the 2jz to build for my 03 IS300 but I've decided to go with the swap into my 85. I don't feel like going through the 5m again. Shame,
it only has 145k on it. I have everything but mounts at this time. ECU, key, amplifier, key ring, even a 3ft extension harness for the ECU.

As far as trannies.... I have the w55 from the IS and a w58 from my 84 (still in it) for tranny selections. I do have a few questions though.

1. @Darrow , what mounts did you use? I don't think I saw them listed in your build. Xcessive or the Norbie style ones from Driftmotion? I'm leaning towards the
Xcessive ones since I can adjust the motor front to rear.

2. Has anyone used the Dakota Digital tach/speedo adapter? SGI-100BT Universal Speedometer and Tachometer Interface
I've seen the MSD ones everyone hates. Rather not use it. I do have the Dakota Digital speedo adapter in my MKIV with the Aristo swap. It works great.

3. Since my w55 came with a Fidanza LWFW and ACT clutch,I was going to run that. Does anyone have the length of the w55 and w58? Wondering if the w55 will bolt up and use the w58 driveshaft. I also have the w55 DS.

4. Anyone running the IS300 electric fans? I also have a set of those laying around. Was gonna use a MKIII Koyo rad I have with them.

Thanks,

B

Attachments

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
1: Use the Xcessive if you can - way more adjustable. (Stupid turbo drains...)
2: Factory trans and factory speedo are fine - tach doesn't require adapting (look for Johnb7's writeup)
3: Flywheel is matched to the engine, clutch disk matched to the trans - run the w58...

Lastly - WHERE DID YOU GET THAT EXTENSION HARNESS?!

--billyM

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I used the drift motion style with the transmission mounts to bolt to front crossmember. This does allow for some front to back adjustment due to the transmission mounts having 3 holes. Not much about 2 inches. The excessive ones look better for adjustment and are not that much more ~$20 or so more.
For the tach I am doing the resistor delete. It is working well so far. Simmilar to Johnb7's but that thread talks about changing the resistor value for the 7mgte, unless he has another thread.
I looked into the dakota digital spedo converter. You may need that is staying with the W55 because I believe that has the VSS sensor. If you use the W58 you won't need that obviously. Sounds like you will have the manual ECU. That is good. Mine came with the Auto ECU and to trick it the SPD wire is disconnected so I can't get cruise control. Having the possibility of cruise control would be the only reason to really stay with the W55.
Good luck with the swap.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@
1: Use the Xcessive if you can - way more adjustable. (Stupid turbo drains...)
2: Factory trans and factory speedo are fine - tach doesn't require adapting (look for Johnb7's writeup)
3: Flywheel is matched to the engine, clutch disk matched to the trans - run the w58...

Lastly - WHERE DID YOU GET THAT EXTENSION HARNESS?!

--billyM
Thanks for the quick reply! I'll order the Xcessive set today.

I got the harness from Figs Engineering. After I re-ran the Vvti harness i was able to use it to put my Aristo ECU on the pass floor of my MKIV. So it should reach into the MKII if I do the same.

B

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used the drift motion style with the transmission mounts to bolt to front crossmember. This does allow for some front to back adjustment due to the transmission mounts having 3 holes. Not much about 2 inches. The excessive ones look better for adjustment and are not that much more ~$20 or so more.
For the tach I am doing the resistor delete. It is working well so far. Simmilar to Johnb7's but that thread talks about changing the resistor value for the 7mgte, unless he has another thread.
I looked into the dakota digital spedo converter. You may need that is staying with the W55 because I believe that has the VSS sensor. If you use the W58 you won't need that obviously. Sounds like you will have the manual ECU. That is good. Mine came with the Auto ECU and to trick it the SPD wire is disconnected so I can't get cruise control. Having the possibility of cruise control would be the only reason to really stay with the W55.
Good luck with the swap.

Thanks for the info Darrow . I'll look into the resistor mod. I'm gonna order the mounts today. I need to drive my Candy girl !!!

B

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Look in my thread for the resistor delete. I just updated it yesterday.
The transmission mount is not the W58 mount. Transmission mounts I used are these. Energy Suspension MKII Supra Motor Mount Guess they are actually called motor mounts. Sorry if there was any confusion.

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
Check out my build thread if you feel adventurous. We fabbed mounts ourselves and it was actually very easy once we had a little moment of clarity and stopped trying to build something complicated. Can do with a grinder, a drill and any usable MIG. I did not want solid mounts so they mate to a pair of IS300 rubber mounts, a brand new pair was like $40.

I want to know about that loom extension as well.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the updates guys ! I'll check out your threads again.
Here is the extension harness. It was $300 a few years ago. $365 now.
You can ask them to make it in black or white. Just know this.
The engine side is the solid one piece plug from an ECU.

IHTH

B

1 - 8 of 8 Posts