Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,026 Posts
Be sure to check Rinkya.com and From Japan FROM JAPAN...

·
Super Moderator
10,577 Posts
You can use a 7m one too. Its a 4 rib belt for the water pump and its possible to get a really short v belt for the power steering so its powered off the vbelt pulley on the water pump. There's a pic of that setup somewhere around here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got an early model so all my pulleys are v belt. I guess I could swap water pump to late model. I'd have to swap ac compressor too.

·
Super Moderator
10,577 Posts
I may be wrong, but I don't believe there is such thing as a 6mge pulley that only uses vbelts like the early 5m ones. The 6m was made in 85/86 as I recall, even the Cressida had switched to the ribbed belt for the water pump at that point, so you're stuck doing this either way if you are building a 6m from a 7m and an early 5m (which sounds like what you are doing).

Here's that pic I mentioned...

·
Super Moderator
10,577 Posts
I don't run AC on my homemade 6m, but I would think you could run the 7m AC compressor and mounting brackets and be ok.

Beyond that you just need to convert to the later style alternators, which you should do anyways because the early ones are horrible, and find a later water pump pulley.

·
POTATO
17,267 Posts
No 6Ms ever came with the early style V belt setup, so it would all need to be converted anyway for a homemade 6M. I've heard about using an AC compressor from a Crown Vic to use with the 7M pulley, it's in my 6MGE thread that's around here somewhere.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah from what I've seen, the 6m has a place for a ribbed belt and 2 v belts.
I've got a camry alternator that I put my v belt pulley on. I'm sure the pulley that came on it is around here somewhere. I was just hoping to save myself the trouble of swapping everything over to ribbed pulleys.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I don't run AC on my homemade 6m, but I would think you could run the 7m AC compressor and mounting brackets and be ok.

Beyond that you just need to convert to the later style alternators, which you should do anyways because the early ones are horrible, and find a later water pump pulley.
I have a 6M in my 84 ill be pulling for my swap (JZ) and another 6M that i got with the car (both real 6M's) I know the pullys have been hard to find for a while but what are these going for these days i haven't seen one for sale

·
POTATO
17,267 Posts
$1000++++ depending on condition

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I found one in CT a few years ago but it turned out to have a crack at the key slot. If someone thinks that they can fix it I'd sell it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'd buy your 6M Billy, but safely shipping across the water would be difficult (not mentioning the cost).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts