Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, for years i have been wanting to do a full build. I have had 3 mkii's and have done numerous swaps and rebuilds and the what-nots on them and every time my dad sees me out there i get the same shit from him, "Why the hell do you keep messing with these mk2's. the mk3 looks so much better". And everytime i sit back and think about it and figure hell i found a nice mk3 i may as well buy. Well needless to say, every mk3 i go out to buy ends up being an mk2 that i come back with. Obsessed? Maybe. I love these damn cars and for some reason i feel that i would reap the benefits much more if my dream build will be in a mk2.

so, i am actually here to ask today. what is the best way to go? 2jzte or 1uzgte? i hear people talking so much about this 1uz, and i know pound for pound stock 2j vs 1uz (both n/a) the 1uz has the upper hand. now since i plan to go out on this build. either being turbo or supercharged, what am i going to be able to get the most out of?

the uz being a v8 obviously has a little more power. but most of that power is just torque. and the engine being so large, is there actually enough room in the mk2 engine bay to go all out with a v8? i know with the 2j, the aftermarket parts are an all but endless supply with mods.

and for those who want to ask how much i plan on spending on this build or what my budget may be. Don't ask and there is no budget. I don't plan on going out to the driveway and doing a complete rebuild and swap over the weekend. As well, i am not asking what all i will need to do the complete swap that will all come in time. but i am just curious in which path would be the best.

and what am i looking for in the end?.......... SPEED!!!!

Thanx in advance for the input.

·
Registered
325 Posts
there is plenty of room to fit a 1uz under the hod just might have to make your own turbo manifold

·
Registered
325 Posts
im not sure of the pros/cons of a 1uz or 2jz swap that's a question you'll have to ask a more experienced member.

but in my book its all personal preference you want a 2j go for it you want a 1uz go for it, but i would rather go with a 2jz myself less mk2 around with 2j's

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
deff 1uz becasue it is soo much lighter
almost a 50/50 weight distribution

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey clinton, red was saying that if i went with a 1uz that i may have to make a turbo manifold. do you know if they actuall make turbos for that thing and/or superchargers? or is it all custom fab?

·
Registered
13,184 Posts
Boosting a 1u has been a pretty big waste of time in all the applications I've seen. Pound for pound of boost, the boost-designed motors respond far better to it (7m,2j, etc) in reliability, response, and ease of application. You really have to either be ready to pay for it, or have a STRONG knowledge of forced induction theory, because there won't be much previous experience to work off of. ...and yes, it will be all custom.

I'm going to shoot from the hip here and guess that if you're asking these questions, you don't have the prerequisite knowledge to do an "outside the box" swap. Find the motor closest to what you want, and go with it.

Engine choices need to be made based off of desired power output and budget. ...and stating that you won't tell what your budget is, is just flat silly.

--billyM

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
trust me i understand what you are saying Billy, and everyone knows when it comes to turbo you are the man to come to. So i appreciate you joining the conversation. But as far as the "out of the box swap" between my father and i there would be a nice amount of knowledge. the reason i was asking is that i was hoping to hear, pound for pound from which would you be able to get the most power from between the 2.

As far as the budget goes, it wasn't that i wouldnt say what my budget is. i was saying that i won't have a budget when this build starts simply because i have wanted to do a build like this for years and it is going to be an on-going build. so it's not like i am going to walk outside saying "ok i have 5k to play with, not a penny more". the money is not my concern. i will spend what i end up spending. what do they say? "you can't put a price tag and perfection"!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
and what i don't have the knowledge in, i have all y'alls brains to pry in. you think i just enjoy talking with all of y'all? lol

i am signing the papers on a house come the first of march so i will finally have a garage :cough cough: "MAN CAVE", to store and play in. So I am secretly on the search for a new chassis down here as well....

·
Registered
13,184 Posts
Did you also tell your realtor the same thing? "I have a budget, but I'm not going to tell you." I'm guessing not, since you're signing papers on that house...

We don't ask to pigeon-hole you into something, but it's important to get an idea of your expectations. Asking us to tell you everything based on nothing is borderline inconsiderate.

As far as "outside the box" swaps, I am talking about treading new ground. Pound for pound, you can make the 1uz produce more power than the 2jz simply by displacement alone. That said, are you in a position where you can re-cam the motor to optimize for a boosted application? You're talking $1,300 there alone. Next up is custom exhaust manifolds, $1,000 if hired out. You're looking at $4k just making it a "turbo" motor. Not only that, but it is going to require hundreds of hours of research and factoring to design this setup. So the answer is, ofcourse the bigger motor can make more power. Will it be of any use to you? Who knows. You may not have the ability. You may not have the budget. Hell, you may not have the desire to make 500+rwhp (it's a damn waste in an mk2, I promise you that).

Again, shooting from the hip, but nothing you've said tells me that you'd be better off working on an "outside the box" type swap. Stick with what's documented and easy, you'll have a hard enough time with the little things...

--billyM

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah i have met quite alot of people in the mechanic field (benefits of being a bartender i suppose) so anything that needs to be done i will be able to get it done. and again you keep bringing up the budget that i may have. would it make you happy if i said 10k? this is going to be something that i want to take quite a while to do. not just slap everything in and get out of here. i want to take pride in knowing that i sat there putting in multiple man hours to make this build perfect.

yes going with a 2j would be a lot simpler just for the fact that so many people have done the swap. yes i am looking for high hp atleast 450 or more. as for the research yes i am ready and willing to spend hours on end getting everything just right before the day comes that i pull it out of the garage. i only ask peoples opinions for the main reason of wanting to hear from individuals that have atleast some sort of knowledge between the 2 motors.

is the uz worth the little extra hp and torque that i would get but at the same time add the extra weight? or should i eat the hp and drop in a little lighter engine? these are the little things that i am trying to find out what would be the right way to go before i go out and pick up the engine of choice.

and of course i didn't tell my realtor about my budget what kind of fool do you think i am. i sorta enjoy not living in a card-board box.......

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
7M-GTE(Cheapest, Easiest, very easy to make decent power or more)
2JZ-GTE(Costs a bit more than a 7M Swap, a bit more fab work(or buying mounts), etc, much easier to make decent power or more)
1UZ-FE(Costs about the same or in between a 7M and 2JZ(just to purchase), MUCH harder and more expensive to make it work, and not as fast stock for stock as the 7M/2JZ-GTE's)

Heres my outlook on the 7M swap, on the cheap.
http://forums.celicasupra.com/showthread.php?t=54433

·
Registered
13,184 Posts
******, answer honestly. Have you ever been in a boosted mk2?

One of the first things I suggest to those dreamers wanting 400+hp is that they go experience a high-po car first. Feel the drawbacks of a single plate clutch that holds that kind of power, the absolute lack of traction or purpose in first, second, third...

450 is cake with the 2j. Modifying the 1uz in any facet is less than cake.

--billyM

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
a high boosted mk2. no not one with 400+ hp. i understand the drawbacks of attempting to put so much power in such an old car. i also understand that there is alot of sh*t that will have to be switched out just to take that kind of beating. i won't be spending all sorts of money dropping an engine that has that kind of umph to it and just try to leave everything else stock. One piece at a time and to start out obviously i need to begin with the motor. this is why i had brought this subject to light as it is.

claim me to be a dreamer? well billy that i won't deny. this is a dream for me but one that is actually going to come true. if i was just shooting my mouth off like many others on this forum it would be one thing (so i know where you may be getting irritated) but i have had 3 of these cars with in the past 10 years and have been on this forum what a year or 2, and have yet to jump up and say "look what i am building this week".

being who you are and what you know, you are one that i would like to hear from what would be the best outcome in the long-run. but before i run out next month and buy an engine, i want to be sure that the one i do buy and spend all sorts of money on it. that i know that was the right choice between the 2.

but then i suppose i could just say screw the everyday rebuilds and just bash away and sink a 350 in the damn bay.....

·
Registered
13,184 Posts
If you think you're going buy, build, cam, boost, trans-swap, standalone, tune, and install the 1uz, I'll say that I truly hope you're capable of doing all this work yourself, because otherwise you're looking at well over a 10k motor right there.

...and you're deciding all this without having ever ridden in, much less driven a boosted mk2. You buy that house without a walk-through?

Again, I will suggest sticking with a motor making close to the power you're looking for in the induction method it was designed for. (2j)

Nothing sucks more than having to pull a running car apart because one modification or another isn't living up to expectations. ...and it is more common when you have changed something beyond the factory design. Show me someone who's swapped in a 1uz, boosted it, and spent more time enjoying it than working out kinks (and I'll immediately show you someone who's a big fat liar). Whereas, I can show you dozens of people who have swapped in a boosted six and enjoyed tens of thousands of trouble-free miles with nothing more thain basic maintenance.

It is ultimately your call, but I believe the reason you're not seeing more knowledgeable responses is because there is little to no question in the matter.

--billyM

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
no i def. made a walk through. and i get your point. but my point has nothing to do with if i have ever driven an mk2 with that much power but that i like the mk2, i continue to buy one about every 3 years. so if i really like one certain car and certainly like to go fast. why wouldn't i want to put 2 and 2 together. it only makes since. will i know what to be expecting the first time i pull out? i highly doubt it. but in the long run i sure as hell hope it is what i am hoping for.

·
Registered
861 Posts
well I sure never had a ride in a boosted mk2 before I did my swap...there was none around in the first place.
I took the decision on the spot, having no clue of the implications and the budget necessary for it, did no research what so ever.
It did cost me much and I had to go through much headaches but I don't regret a minute of it.

Now you have the $$$ and you have had 3 mkIIs over the past 10 years, swap technical info is easily available in here and you dream of a power house supra.... well go ahead, I think you do know what you are messing with and will enjoy the end result!
At this point it's all about defining your options and making a decision on the way to go. The hardest part in any swap is to keep it to that plan, there is always something to "upgrade" along the way.

just my 2 cents
Cheers!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts