Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Its Official, I'm In

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  1SupraMk2 
#1 ·
One of the local pick-a-parts had 1/2 price day today, I found a 91 LS400 that had just arrived and was untouched under the hood. So I got it all, including engine harness and ECU, all accessories, tranny and front 1/2 of driveshaft.

I noticed this part of the forums is small, good to be aboard.

Looks like I have a bunch of 2JZ stuff to sell in the classifieds.

#9 ·
It all cost $240 tax included. I traded in a couple of blocks, an old auto tranny, and three aluminum radiators as cores. I got the complete engine and tranny, all accessories, sensors, harness, ECU, etc. I don't know how many miles on the engine (stupid electronic odometers), but the gas smelled fresh and I found a utility bill dated Jan. 2013. The salvage said the car had been there 47 days. Things had been taken from the body and interior, but the hood wouldn't open lucky for me. Everything was there, all untouched. Even if the engine or tranny is not great, at the price I paid how can I go wrong? I could find a better long block or auto tranny and still come out good. Motor mount brackets shipped out today.

I have done my research on exhausts, I may go and get the manifolds from an early SC400 sitting in the same yard and modify, or order some shorty headers and cut and reweld as needed. I haven't decided yet.

#13 ·
I spent the afternoon putting together a Frankentranny. I put the 1uz bellhousing and torque converter on a good 2jz auto I have. That way I am able to use a conventional u-joint instead of the Lexus rubber donut. I also installed a mechanical speedo drive from a 91 Cressida auto I have lying around. I still need to swap pans from the 1uz tranny onto the 2jz tranny so the kickdown cable and dipstick will work.

My only concern is using the LS400 torque converter. I'm afraid it will lockup too soon on a lightweight car like the MK2. Only way to know is to try it I guess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.