Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and Gals!

Picked up this 84 (L?) Type this weekend. The wheels and tires are stand ins from my long term project car, just wanted to give them some road love before putting them back in the shed.

It seems to be fairly complete, but the windows always fog up if it's raining, so I assume it's leaking water somewhere. Does anyone know if door/window seals are available still?

On to the pix :)
IMG_20210111_065115.jpg IMG_20210110_151950.jpg IMG_20210110_151942.jpg

I'll try my best to search before asking (this forum has so much good information, you long standing members are awesome!).

Cheers, Joel

·
Registered
336 Posts
Looks to me as if it is an '85/'86 "P" type........unless a PO added the spoiler from a later car to the '84. Wheel well flares make it a "P" for sure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would it make any difference if it was from Canada? It definitely has the cloth seats. Hmm. I tried hunting down the old VIN decoder mentioned in a lot of threads but can't find it here. Probably me missing something lol

·
Registered
7,232 Posts
Hi!
Unless the rear hatch/spoiler was changed, that is an 85 MY, (possibly built in the last months of 84). Also, it is a P type with the fender flares and P type seats. (same in Canada)
Unfortunately, not much wheather strips still available. In fact, not much at all, other than basic maintenance items.
These car have always fog up in rainy conditions. Turn AC on if still working. The blower fan is not really up to the needed task of circulating air.
Water infiltration areas:
-windshield bottom corners (remove kick panels and look for damp areas)
- cracks in the bottom of the gutters let water in, and drip on seatbelt B pillar...

Welcome aboard!

·
Super Moderator
8,456 Posts
Most common water leaks in a Mk2 IMO are from the quarter windows or the sunroof drains are blocked. Both don't require any special parts, but anything OEM you need is probably discontinued though.

Reactions: ddd228

·
Registered
336 Posts
Beginning in the '84 model year leather was available for the "P" type. And wasn't the "L" type discontinued in '85, or was it only for the cars made for the first half of the '86 MY?

I never drive my car in the rain anymore, so no problem with any fogging up, but I do not remember it being any problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks very much! Title states 1984, as well as a VIN check I did before purchasing. Interesting.. well, I'll call it an 85, why not?

Car has around 148k miles (odo is in KM), and drives like the odo is correct. Probably one of the "tightest" old toyotas I've owned. It does have some slop in the driveline, probably going to do ujoints and and center bearing first, unless I find the rear end to be the culprit.

·
Registered
222 Posts
My car had a very leaky sunroof (Webasto aftermarket). had it fixed at a Toyota dealership (which the owner sold by now, sadly) and at least this worry is now gone. If your car has a sunroof, I would definitely check that one.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Could you please post pic's of the dash gauges ? Are the fender flares a separate flare attached to the fender or is the fender just molded out to make a flare ? Thanks Wayne

P.S. Nice car !

·
Founding Member
6,460 Posts
Since the hatch decal is installed incorrectly, I bet it really is an 84 and somebody just replaced a rusty hatch with one from an 85. Probably just found an 85 hatch in a different color, had it painted to match and didn't pay attention to how the decal was supposed to go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Since the hatch decal is installed incorrectly, I bet it really is an 84 and somebody just replaced a rusty hatch with one from an 85. Probably just found an 85 hatch in a different color, had it painted to match and didn't pay attention to how the decal was supposed to go.
Well, it's a possibility. The hatch hasn't been repainted, so it would have to have come from a black 85. And you can see ghosting from the old decal. The new decal is "shorter" than the old one, so the whole thing doesn't cover the same width as the original.

Haters gotta hate I suppose ;)

·
POTATO
17,294 Posts
Beginning in the '84 model year leather was available for the "P" type.
Leather was available in P type cars in 1983.

Please see my link for more information on the year and type differences.

·
Registered
528 Posts
wow nice Car and nice combination,with whels

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Gotta love a clean black mk2

Reactions: Tanya
1 - 17 of 17 Posts