Difficult systems to diagnose?

• Choose MORE than one.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Choose your your most difficult.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Japanese engineers! PG 13 language.

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  SupraFiend 
#1 ·
Fuel filter, fuel pump, Heater core! o_O :oops::poop:Cruise control.

See less See more
#3 ·
AGREED! Audi and Beemers. GAWD, who designed this abortion?

Here, take this off B-4 you can get access to the offending part.

Then there are TORX bolts and triple-square bolts. What?
In 2018, I had to buy an 18 mm set of tools.
My Japanese car has those? No. Millimeter sizes.10,12,14 and 17. Fine.22 &24=OK.OOPS=19 mm.

#6 ·
Yes, fuel system, why did they make so many versions..
And charging. Same. I mean, who puts in a RELAY to light one little bulb?
I have three Audis, they're a breeze to service in comparison. Probably bc I do it too often.. 😋

#7 ·
Every car has a learning curve. I've been playing with mk2s for 20 years, I've got all the tricks down. I don't remember half of the things that challenged me when I first tried them, working on these cars is a breeze for the most part now.

Heater core is never fun to change, best thing to do is to not break it in the first person. Seems like an obvious thing, but don't yank on the hoses that attach to it in the engine bay! Hoses are cheap and easy to replace, cut them off if they don't just slide off. Not worth cracking the solder around the metal tube where it fits inside the core.

Oil pan gasket... don't use one. If you have an early car with the old oil pan that doesn't have recesses for RTV, get one!

Toyota made many mistakes on this car, but they kept improving it year after year. The later charging system is much better then what the 82/83s have, it can be upgraded.

A lot of the issues and things we curse are from the march of time at this point. The fuel system components weren't really designed to last 40 years. We need supply for rust free gas tanks, the high pressure fuel line and the fuel pump hanger for sure. Would be nice if the pump could be changed thru the floor board like the fuel sender can, but dropping the tank is actually really easy. Again, something I've done a million times.

#8 ·
A heater core in 99% of cars is a nightmare. Its like one of the first things to go in on all cars. A lot of newer cars you need to remove a DOOR to get the dash out. I've heard the newer Camaros you need to remove the windshield to do it. I guess there are two big bolts right down the center that easy for a robot to put in. The fuel tanks in Vettes since the C5 require you remove the rear suspension and transaxle to pull the tank. Especially problematic since the plastic fuel lines crack in the C6 now that they are old. Wait til you guys have to deal with 1234 refrigerant that makes R12 look cheap.

Biggest thing I hate in new cars is the full underbody tray. Everything you drop gets trapped down there and next thing you know you're removing 40 bolts and clips to remove the panel to find that one screw you dropped. Plus a lot of them look like they are made out of hood liner material which should up great once the engine starts leaking oil...

Reactions: ddd228
#9 ·
The C7 vetter checks so many boxes for me, the 6 isn't bad either. But every time I think about possibly owning one, I remember how horrible it is to work on GMs. I love the idea of the rear transaxle in the vettes, from the drivers perspective its the ultimate drivetrain configuration/weight balance (and Toyota agrees, see LFA), but dang, you have to drop the transaxel and entire rear suspension plus torque tube to change a clutch on a vette, and you pretty much need a lift and a couple hydrolic drivetrain jacks to support it all while doing it. A clutch job shouldn't require you to remove as much stuff as a proper underbody restoration lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.