Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The latest JCW Sport Compact just came to the house today and I saw that they still carry this for the 5M. I had this set-up on my 80 Celica GT back in the day and for the money it wasn't bad. It's only $160.00. I know everyone can't do the custom thing on the first try so I thought I'd pass it on.

·
Registered
272 Posts
If it's the same unit as the Pacesetter cat-back, it's crap! At least mine was. I had one of these about 3 years ago - the piping was rusting through after 4 months, and one of the internal baffles in the muffler came loose and reverbed horribly after about a month. It finally got so that I couldn't stand it any more, and got my current exhaust put on the car...

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Vern is right.. it's total crap. Put mine on like 5 months ago, and its all rusted to shit already.... and them saying direct fit is like saying a square peg is a direct fit to a round hold. Total waste of money. Go to a muffler shop and get them to custom bend ya an exhaust... about the same price, and the quality will be 1000 times better.

Hell, I'll give ya mine after I go turbo if ya want... just hafta promise to get a tetnis shot before I give it to ya ;)

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
I ordered that same cat-back system from J.C. Whitney about 10 years ago. Nothing fit worth a darn, so I put it back in the box and had UPS come pick it up and ship it back to Chicago. I went with a new factory exhaust instead...even though the darn muffler tips were seperate and cost $45.00 each. :x One of the baffles in the new OE muffler came loose within a month and I had to once again jack the car up and remove the new OE exhaust and take it back under warranty. I had a heck of a time proving that anything was wrong with the baffles in the muffler but my long time friend in the Toyota parts dept. took my word for it and ordered me another OE exhaust. Never trust a muffler that has visible spot welds on the outer sheet metal. :roll:

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:( Wow, sorry I mentioned it. :oops: When I had this system, although a long time ago, I liked it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Don't be silly! You were going off your own favorable experiences... I'm glad you posted because: A) I'm always glad to see people taking the effort to keep other owners informed as to where to get parts for our cars and B) perhaps we can warn a few peeps away from this crummy exhaust...

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
I liked the appearance of the Monza exhaust. Black pipe and muffler with chrome tips. The system just didn't fit right in my case. Apparently some others have had better results.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just got a twin tipped ractive stainless steel exhaust put on my 2 and a quarter piped no cat only ressonated exhaust and man is that sucker loud. I'm gonna have to put some soundproofing in my car or put my cat back on. a little too loud but it looks so darn cool.

Marc

1 - 8 of 8 Posts