Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

POTATO
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple years back I found this equalizer on eBay from a 1992 Corolla Levin. Upon some research I found it was a rare accessories option for Japanese cars only. There was only one documented instance of it being wired up, but it was to an aftermarket radio and The instructions weren't helpful. I eventually found a Japanese receiver that had the same amount of mini DIN pins so I ordered that from Buyee and here we are 馃榿

Already upgraded radio wiring to 87+ plugs so it went right in. Got an FM expander so I could use US radio stations also. I have a remote for it on order from Japan awaiting shipping currently.

Registered
Looks badass!

Registered
Tanya,

That looks fantastic!
The look is exactly 80s with over the top styling. As an audio sales person I once talked to described something, "It looks like Tokyo at Night!"
And the topper is that it is Toyota branded. Absolute perfection.

Any idea what company actually manufactured it? Any part numbers or labels as a clue?

I love this era styling. I looked for years to get a Sony Graphic Equalizer, but they are way too rare to get one in useable shape within a reasonable price.

Sony XE-747 Equalizer with XR-605 Head
This is not the same but evokes the same style.

How does it sound?

Dale

Reactions: Zoe and Tanya

POTATO
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Matsushita brand (Panasonic). It sounds great with MBQuartz front speakers and original rears. I use a Bluetooth tape adapter and the sound fidelity is absolutely amazing!

POTATO
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does it work the automatic antenna?
The factory antenna works as normal with the setup, but I needed to wire in FM expander to the antenna cable going into radio in order to get US stations

Registered
Tanya,

That is wild.
For the great unwashed (like me), in Japan the FM Frequency band is 76-90 MHz whereas in North America, the FM Frequency band is 88-108 MHz.
Without this FM expander you wouldn't be able to receive 99.3 MHz station for instance.

I have never heard of one of these expanders before. How does it work?
For 99.3 MHz for instance, does the radio actually show 99.3 MHz on the display, or does it show another frequency that is a fraction of this that fits on the radio's Japanese range?

I guess to a technological troglodyte like me FM is still desirable. To the youngsters on the forum, just about everyone else, FM is old fashioned and they don't use it.
Being a lover of the 80's though it's awesome that you are using this.

What brand of converter are you using?

POTATO
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The radio will not show US frequencies even with the FM Expander... I'm not exactly sure how it works, but it seems like it piggybacks IS frequencies on top of the Jp ones.. We are planning to eventually solder the frequency points on the board inside the receiver once I get an extra one to play with. But the expander I got from Amazon works for now

1 - 12 of 12 Posts