Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The lenses are from the fog lights of a Lexus ES250. The work and fit very well and the mod is an easy one.

Credit goes to this thread for inspiration:
http://forums.celicasupra.com/showthread.php?t=23471

The following procedure took me about 20 minutes.

Enjoy! (I'll follow up with pics of them lit up when I get some new bulbs.)

---
[Step 0] Tools:

0.00 : You will need the following tools (3/16" Allen Key shown):

0.01 : Wrench detail:

[Step 1] Removing the lenses from their housings:

1.00 : Lens prior to removal:

1.01 : Cut the front of the housing off at all four locations where it connects to the bulb holder. Leave enough material for 1.03 (approximate cut location shown):

1.02 : Lens after front housing removal:

1.03 : Pry the four sections of remaining material away from the lens:

1.04 : Remove the lens and gasket from the holder and clean as desired:

(Continued in next post.)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
[Step 2] Removing the bulb holder from the Supra fog light housing:

2.00 : Bulb holder in fog light housing. One of three press-points is boxed in red:

2.01 : Locate the Allen key against the outside of the press-point as shown:

2.02 : Place the screw taped to the wrench on the inside of the press-point. Place the bottom jaw of the wrench against the Allen key. Apply pressure on the wrench until the press-point is flattened. Do this for all three press-points:

2.03 : Remove the bulb holder from the fog light housing. Gently press against the tabs of the fog light reflector (location and direction indicated by red arrows) to make the following steps easier and to help prevent cracking the lenses:

(Continued in next post.)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
[Step 3] Placing the yellow lenses inside of the Supra fog light housings:

3.00 : Insert the lens into the housing as shown:

3.01 : Gently press the lens the rest of the way into the fog light reflector using the eraser of a pencil or equivalent tool:

3.02 : The lens should fit snugly into the reflector. Approximate depth is shown:

3.03 : Align the lens with the opening in the foglight housing:

3.04 : Place the gasket on the edge of lens and align it with the lens:

3.05 : Replace the bulb holder and press it down into place. If this is significantly difficult, repeat 2.03 through 3.04 until the bulb holder snaps in without significant difficulty:

3.06 : Place the Allen key against the inside of the press-point. Place the screw attached to the upper jaw against the outside of the press-point. Apply pressure until the press-point is roughly back to its original shape. Repeat this process for all three press-points:

3.07 : Alternate angle for 2.10 shown:

·
Registered
629 Posts
Piaa amber bulbs

Wow, you went through all that "modding" effort. Kudos! But I have just been going into my local Toyota dealership (Magic Toyota of Edmonds, WA) and buying the 55W amber halogen bulbs for the foglights, and the PIIA amber replacement bulbs for the running lights.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, you went through all that "modding" effort. Kudos! But I have just been going into my local Toyota dealership (Magic Toyota of Edmonds, WA) and buying the 55W amber halogen bulbs for the foglights, and the PIIA amber replacement bulbs for the running lights.
Thanks for the kudos! The mod was super easy, though. It really only took 20 mins, and that was because I was stopping to take pictures the whole time.

There were a lot of people in the old thread talking about fog options like yours. First, I wanted the real yellow instead of the more orangish light that amber lights give off. Second, there's a lot of people on here that search high and low for the XX fogs so I figured this was a nice alternative to get that same light and fog reflector pattern as well as have the same physical lens setup as the XX. The fact that the lens is a Toyota part is a bonus too.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Can you tell that the yellow capsule is inside of the fog light with the bulb off? Is their any way I can install these capsules without the reflectors inside? Just bought a set of capsules, and I'm looking for info. Thanks.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can you tell that the yellow capsule is inside of the fog light with the bulb off? Is their any way I can install these capsules without the reflectors inside? Just bought a set of capsules, and I'm looking for info. Thanks.
Yes and yes. The older thread I linked to in my first post has the answers to all your questions and more. Lots of cool pics. Pay close attention to the posts made by AJ as well.

·
Premium Member
7,595 Posts
Personally I do like the modified driving lights better, using OEM "clear" H3s or the yellow capsules, than the US fogs...

I use a 3/16" punch to remove the detents in order to remove the light capsules.

Then using tin (aviation??) shears I cut out the reflector thru the hole where the capsule goes into, on a good day I can remove the reflector in 5-8 minutes per light...leaving the riveted side supports last and then drill out the rivets...and shake out any remaining pieces...

Chris' write up is spot on!!

·
Premium Member
5,540 Posts
Are you looking for these?

Click here

AJ Modded "Driving lights" 1 pair

USD fogs (Used) with reflector removed then upgraded with JDM Celica XX Yellow light modules. This set is very good to excellent ++++ condition, minimal surface rust, some over spray on one lense, with minor touch up these are excellent condition driving lights +++++

$100 Shipped in the USA includes a new set of Hella H-3 bulbs with pig tails for both early and late MK2s...

Actual items being sold...

Examples of previous AJ modded Driving Lights

Flashlite being used to illuminate from behind lense

·
Registered
185 Posts
Just for information: The CS fog lights are also yellow in Europe, I will take some pictures when mine is finished!

·
Premium Member
7,595 Posts
David, Thanks for the referral Sir!!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
yes that is what Im looking for, but I want just the capsules?
The lenses are from the fog lights of a Lexus ES250...
Junk yard and pull the lenses out? Unless you meant buying them off of someone..

All, sorry for the broken image links. When I get to my home comp on the weekend I'll reupload.
Nevermind, images are just blocked at work. : (

No idea why I posted this in General Chat either...

1 - 20 of 58 Posts