Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been working on this for a while, most of this comes from my main thread on celica-gts.com.

History of the motor! Got it off my buddy out of his 93 sc300 with 150,000 miles on the block with EVERYTHING, all emission components and wiring for $400, but the catch was it had a blown head gasket, or so i thought.

I proceeded to dissemble the 2J and found where the head gasket had blown ever so slightly to leak water into the oil, but to my surprise, on the number 6 cylinder, on the head electrolysis had eaten its way from one water jacket to the combustion chamber, wtf?? No idea what could have caused that, running hose water in the cooling system? IDK. Well the line that had made its way through was no wider than 1 mm, but it was enough to spray water into the cylinder!

Anywho a trip to the machine shop and the head only need light decking to rid the shitty electrolysis made leak.

This is a full rebuild using only OEM parts mainly from Toyota, and some from Denso and Aisin (Same as Toyota shit) plus some go fast bits.

Decided to compile my posts over here for everyone else to see! Enjoy!

Block and crank back from the machine shop

Crank cleaned and polished

Radiator cooling plate

And these goodies came in today! :yes:

Painted the block

Freeze plugs installed

New Toyota main bearings, thrust washers, and clevite lube

Crank placed in

Tightening down main caps

Torqued to factory spec

Rod and pistons installed with new rings and bearings. Marking for torque settings

Torqued to factory spec

Done!

New oil pump, backing plate, and oil pan installed

Head placed on

New OEM water pump installed

Torquing head down

Buckets installed and lubee

Cams placed in, cam seals, and lube

Cam caps torqued

Timing belt installed

Buttoning up the front end, timing cover, harmonic balancer, and serpentine tensioner installed

Mmmmm, gold valve covers

More goodies, OEM Toyota Denso double platinum spark plugs

Distributor and wires installed plus cam covers

And here's where I stopped for today, more coming soon. 5M is coming out next as this is pretty much done.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Header came in today! A little tweaked, but nothing muscle can't help make fit ahah!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's the OBX MK4 supra header, it's basically a copy of the xerd/mvp header for the MK4 supra

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
Shiny!

Is it polished stainless? From the welds I'd guess yes.

Too bad it's impossible to get a CARB "Smog Legal" header for my MK-II, or I'd have one hanging in the rafters right now!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Shiny!

Is it polished stainless? From the welds I'd guess yes.

Too bad it's impossible to get a CARB "Smog Legal" header for my MK-II, or I'd have one hanging in the rafters right now!
Yes it is indeed, stainless with pretty nice TIG welds! I am in cali too, but us older gen supra guys really don't get a second look from the popo, where I am at at least, they go for honduhz and what not, they don't have a clue what they are looking a when it comes to these rides!

Looking good. Love that cooling plate too.
Wouldn't have it without ya man :zzzzz:

Thanks for the comments everyone, I should have the car running by tomorrow; if my wiring is successful, I will post up a wiring guide for those using the sc300 harness along with pics!

Stay tuned ahah

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I decided what the hell, I'll upload some more recent pics of progress, and the progress is good.

I had a house full of RA and MA chassis' that day...
Various fellows came by to give a helping hand, Fausto's 85 L-Type with only 155,000 on the clock, and Jaymes' 85 Celica GT :thumbsup:

Hi there old 5M

Fausto helping pull the front end apart, and I can say, what a pain in the ASS taking the front bumper off it was, it was only like 3872639 bolts!

But we prevailed.

Bye bye 5M

That shit was nasty!! Leaked from every orifice since I had it, but hey the motor was a tough bastard, wouldn't ever run right on part throttle and bucked a lot, but once you hit WOT she was happy as hell, she pulled my buddy's freshly rebuilt 85 SDR by 3 cars on a 55 mph roll till I let off haha!

There's my crazy New Zealand buddy trying to taste the 5M's rawness

2JZ stuffs

Umm yeah. The tranny cleaned up pretty well, BillyM shiftgasm installed, new seals front and back

Bahnoff stage 1 clutch and Competition Clutch 12lb flywheel

Time to drop her in

Ta-dah! Fit like a charm, Dave's engine mounts and idea of using GM poly transmission mounts is genius! Thank you Dave!

Quite a bit more has been done since these picture were taken, various things like a/c stuff removal, tranny installation, etc.. but I have no new pictures yet, most likely tomorrow for sure!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hey brother... damn, your workmanship is legit! I am loving every kodak moment especially the driveway full of MA's ... When are you posting up the wiring pics? That's where I m at in my build and every bit of help and references would be awesome. I hope all is going well bro. See if you can take flicks of every wire you've spliced up to get her purring... I am looking forward to it bro and so is everyone that checks up on this thread.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the comments peeps! All I've got to say is WOW, this motor is awesome, even in NA form, I am really impressed with the NA 2JZ. Haven't been on to post much because obviously I am too infatuated with driving my new born MK2 ahah! My wiring didn't exactly go as planned, but all is good and I can at least make a write up that can get the car running, give or take a few injectors firing, but as long as you can get a 12v source to each one you are golden! I'll try to take some pics this week, but I am back in school again with a full load and weather took a shitty turn as it is this week, so don't hold your breath.

All I have at the moment for you guys is this

and this crappy cell phone video that can't record sound for shit lol.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wooo, reached my bandwidth, fuck you too photobucket... Guess you guys have to wait till the 1st of February lol

1 - 20 of 40 Posts