Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I will be honest... I like driving cars, I don't like working on them... After owning several supra's/cressida's and 7mgte motors I soon realized this just wasn't my driving style. I drive cars hard, I drift, I autocross, I like redlining my motor. Don't get me wrong I still own a 7mgte Cressida, and owned several 7mgte mk3s, but I wanted to try something different. Finding a clean mk2 was out of the question in IL. I already picked up a mint 87' factory 5-speed Cressida in Oregon and did not have the time or money to plan such a trip for a mk2. A couple of friends and I were always joking around with each other about doing a 5m swap to a mk3. I had a spare 5m off a Cressida at a buddies house doing nothing and we had a mk3 shell that was super clean.... Hmmmm... So within a week we made plans and got to it.... Currently the only issues are the oil pump and pick up line, we might be going dry sump. I know this might piss off some mk3 owners but I don't care. I love the 5m, its reliable, it takes abuse, its cheap, its the ideal motor for me. Oh did I mention its mated to a r154 with a spec clutch good for 700 hp? Stay tuned ;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
This is blasphemy. It's pretty rare to be able to say you were the first ever to do something. =D

Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
LOL. Yep, that's going to be surprising a few folks!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ha!

I love it!! But true that......slooooooooowest supra ever...unless you got some serious turbo ideas in mind.... But like you said....you just want a reliable motor and the 5m is it......

·
Registered
828 Posts
Ha, I've thought swapping the 5mge back into my donor car also. This should be interesting.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Might could have got the same effect by putting 4 fat chicks in a stock Cressida and going for a spin?! Or maybe just put the MKIII body on some tow dollies hooked up to the back of your 7M-GTE Cressida? Might could have even got the same effect from a 18R swap in your Cressida.. :runaway:

Good luck man! Hope it works out for what your wanting it for! :eekfacepalm:

Scotty

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think you guys missed the part that its mated to a r154 with a spec clutch...
This 5m is going to be boosted... I never heard of a 5m with a r154 let alone a 5m in a mk3
I will let the car do the talking real soon
Should have it running within a couple days. I will post up vids/pics soon.

·
Registered
855 Posts
..........sandals in the garage???????????Big no no
LOL! Those are my sandals. LOL. I was just passing through and did not plan on working. The guys told me about the "secret" swap and I did not believe it until I got there. Once the trans was installed and pressure plate bolts were in, I started thinking, this just might work

Too bad the pump from Aaron did not work. I think the 7M pump will work:
- Cut off the support bracket (the bracket that the one screw goes to)
- Use a spacer from the pump housing to the block for the oil pump body bolt
- If needed, replace the oil pump outlet tube with a braided steel hose

·
Registered
697 Posts
That's cool I think. When it is done you need to take a pic of an mk2 with 7m and the mk3 with a 5m side by side with the hoods up. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
657 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,395 Posts
everyone keeps saying the 5m is so slow, but you are all forgetting that fastest car on this website since 2002 is a 5mgte........., as you see here http://forums.celicasupra.com/showthread.php?t=46018

and quote from toysport :
Properly set-up, a 5MG Turbocharged easily outrun 7MGTs similarly equipped with upgrades (the bodies were considerably lighter and the engines responded better- pound for pound of boost.

http://www.toysport.com/Technical Information/5m_6m_tech_notes.htm
Why do people keep dragging up this 20+ year old info from Toysport?

·
POTATO
17,259 Posts
everyone keeps saying the 5m is so slow, but you are all forgetting that fastest car on this website since 2002 is a 5mgte........., as you see here http://forums.celicasupra.com/showthread.php?t=46018

That #1 spot goes to a car that is COMPLETELY GUTTED and weighs like 2500lbs, LOL. You'll have to do similar to that mk3 shell just to get it off the line in a timely manner so old people in their Caddys aren't running you down. You pretty much have to boost that engine just to get where you were stock (or should have been with 170rwhp or so)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts