Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have you ever wondered how many of our fine cars are still out there? How many have gone on the supply metal for the MK3? Lol. I'm on a mission to find out by verifying as many as possible, and also those that have gone on as donors or met an untimely demise. We will be looking into recreating firewall VIN plates to replace weathered or damaged ones, and also generating a certificate of registration for your car if you wish to have one.
So now, hit this link and get your pride and joy, DD, road missile, beater or trailer Queen on the Registry. If you happen upon one is a boneyard, document it with pics of the data plates and the car, and it will be given a moments silence. If you want to share the wealth as far as parts sources, please include the name and address of the wrecking yard that has/had it.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdI_brIAghdGogh8dkinb-sz3NPS9-mB5aj_AXUMD9QG_v9-g/viewform

·
Whistles
1,052 Posts
Neat!

·
Founding Member
6,361 Posts
Be sure and update this once you move it off facebook for those of us anti-social(media) types. But there can't be many left. Back in 1998 before the state privacy laws went into effect, I ran a partial vin search on the Texas DMV database and came up with just under 300 with current registration. By now my guess is there's probably fewer than 50 left statewide that are still running and driving. I sent four to the crusher myself (after stripping parts of course) and sold two off to rust-belt states.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well holy Hannah. Phil, it has been easily a decade, closer to 2. Now I feel my age. Lol. You know what, being somewhat of a dumb ass, why don't I just go right ahead and post the Google Doc link here so it can be accessed by non FB'ers. In fact, I'll start a new thread, and maybe it can get all sticky.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The link is now in the first post. Screw FB.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Very neat! Is there a way that we all can see the registries so far? With the interest in these cars (and old Toyotas in general) on the rise, it would be great if Toyota would start to realize the demand for reproduction OEM parts again.

·
Founding Member
6,361 Posts
I wish I'd kept records of the ones I scrapped but I never thought about there ever being a registry. But now is about the time people get nostalgic. Some guy who owned a mk2 20-30 years ago will want to recapture that youth and wonder whatever happened to the mk2 he once had. It would be helpful to know if its gone instead of launching a futile search.

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
I haven't registered mine yet, my ride is stored, but if it helps, I've temporarily forwarded a related domain to that address: MkII.ca

Will be easier to remember and input than the google addy - no redirect, straight to the registry...

·
Super Moderator
10,519 Posts
Hey Phil! Good to see you around here again.

Whats the plan for hosting this data? You going to transfer this all to an html site or keep it in a google doc?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The ultimate goal here is to combine our results with those of the other Generations which is currently underway. I've been in talks with the organizers of the MK4 project, and the web site layout is quite appealing. It offers pictures of the cars along with the build data but doesn't reveal any ownership or private information so that is the format I would like to stay with also. Another contributor is working on Mark 1 and Mark 3 information so once we have gathered up as many as we can, I will submit it to them to add into their database.

·
Premium Member
4,036 Posts
Added mine a few minutes ago.

Thanks for starting this!

- Jim

·
Super Moderator
10,519 Posts
Interesting. I've had 20 Supras, this could be a rather time consuming process for me lol. I definitely don't have all the vin numbers around anymore though, most were parts cars.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just got mine all registered. Been meaning to do this for a couple weeks now

·
Registered
35 Posts
The ultimate goal here is to combine our results with those of the other Generations which is currently underway. I've been in talks with the organizers of the MK4 project, and the web site layout is quite appealing. It offers pictures of the cars along with the build data but doesn't reveal any ownership or private information so that is the format I would like to stay with also. Another contributor is working on Mark 1 and Mark 3 information so once we have gathered up as many as we can, I will submit it to them to add into their database.
Wow! I hope this all actually goes through! It would be awesome to have a record of what cars are where now between all generations, especially with the new Supra coming out soon.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You mean the new BMW? Lol. Now, more than ever, I think this is actually spurring these registry projects onwards as most have come to terms with the fact that the Supra is truly done. Have you seen the prices MKIVs are fetching? It's like real estate in Vancouver! Hopefully, the MK2 will follow suit.
I gave up my MK1 a few years back, and now I'm starting to want the full set again....
And yes, this is definitely a thing. There are 105 MK2s on the Registry already, in less than a month! Phil Dupler, do you think you might still have record of those VINs?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts