Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, i just put a cone type k&n filter on my car, of course i don't have that intake box thing either so its all open. well heres a question. when i rev it up( i pull on the throttle linkage) you can here it suck the air in. it sounds really cool, im just wondering if anyone else get this noise.

go here and listen to the sound.
right click and save as

you can here it a split second b4 the engine revs up, sounds like a sucking noise

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a cone filter on mine and it makes the same noise. It also makes a whistling noise acceleration. The car has to be moving for it to make the whistling noise though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have never autocrossed before. I would like to though. I need to get new struts and shocks first. I am going to put some stiffer springs on it from my other car. I should have all of that done sometime in June. Once I get all of that done, I would love to go autocrossing.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Yeah, you'll get that sound when the stock airbox is removed. One of the design features of the stock airbox is for the purpose of suppressing the intake noise. Removing it allows the car to make all sorts of interesting sounds.

I hear the sounds of my dying brain cells.
Scott

·
3,283 Posts
I put a cone filter on mine a while back, coupled with the AG intake pipe, I can hear all sorts of interesting noises.

Mine also whistles on accelleration, but the the throttle has to be in two specific places under a load.

Mike

·
Registered
178 Posts
I get that loud whistling as well. Kinda funny. Someone even mistook it for a blower one time (I don't think he knew much about cars though) lol.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I once put a "noisy" Pete Jackson gear tower on an LG-4 305 with an extremely quiet exhaust... No one would race me because they thought I had a blower..lol... If they only knew what a turd that car was...

On topic, that is normal with most cone filters actually...

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Mine also whistles on accelleration, and when tapping on the gas from 50-80 it makes a high pitch whistle i notice some people look over every time i hear it. :D

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yea I have a generic cone intake as well. What I've noticed is that if I take the RPMs high in first gear and then shift to 2nd, I get kind of a blowoff valve sound! Hehe I call it the N/A BOV. :lol:

·
Registered
174 Posts
I (heart) Cones

If you want that sound to be louder, get either a piece of PVC pipe or something more visually attracting and stick it where that ugly intake muffler cylinder thing is... more people will look at you, I promise. heres a funny story concerning my expirence with free flowing intakes.

Heh, I used to drive an 81 supra with a 5m-e, my first car accually... I put a k&n cone filter on it and took out that black plastic intake muffler thing and replaced it with a piece of stainless steel pipe. I took it for a "test run" and realized I had created the most annoyingly noisy car on the planet, but only under load! the sound it made was just a "Woooo" that got louder as the car got closer to its 5800 redline comparable to a diesil without an aircleaner on it. I ripped by my friends house about 4 times before he came out to see, and I quote "Who was riding their rice bike in January"...

Since then I parked the "Noise Bomb" and put the filter on my 85 supra and man, because of the more agressive cam profile, the 5m's old "Woo" transformed into what all of you cone owners might know as "that great throttling noise that the car makes when I give it some foot", I have accually recieved compliments for the sound, which is more than I can say for the noise bomb...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts