Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
OK, BINGO, another option. I went to another key shop and they were able to modify the Yamaha Style key blank to work. The style key is YM63 or X248. The problem with these keys is that they have a raised fin along the outside of the keyway groove above the shoulder that must be ground away to work in the CS 84-86 ignition. Local key shop ground off those fins and cut the key, and it works fine.
Here is a pic of my Toyota key and the modified X248 key side by side.

Here is a pick of the X248 key in the ignition:

They had an ILCO T61C but head was a little too wide. No T61F blank on hand. No Cole TO20 on hand.

Local Yamaha dealer wanted $17.00 to order a Yamaha marked plastic head key in the YM63 style. But, I've decided to order a pair of generic plastic head YM63 keys and try them.
Stand By.

PS: I like the modified YM63/X248 blank way better than the modified B56 GM blank.

Reactions: AJ

·
Premium Member
8,373 Posts
Mike NICE work Sir!!

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
AJ, Have you gotten a T61F or Cole TO20 Key to work in an 84-86 Supra ignition? My other local locksmith looked at them and said they were not the same keyway as the TR33 and similar Toyota options, similar but not the same.

ILCO T61F and COLE TO20 are essentially the same key.

I found a key blank catalog on line. I have found another couple of possibilities I want to try. Stand by

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
On the Yamaha blank, did you have to cut from shoulder down to get rid of that funky tip?
Yes, The Yamaha blank is a tad too long anyway so when the lock machine makes the bit cuts, it cuts off the extra length too. Your locksmith will know how to make it work.
TO ALL, Be sure you are using a full service locksmith, not just some key cutter at the hardware store, etc.

·
Premium Member
8,373 Posts
Mike, I have just put in the Cole key in the door lock, uncut went in have NOT tried a CUT key in the door ignition

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Mike, I have just put in the Cole key in the door lock, uncut went in have NOT tried a CUT key in the door ignition
OK, Local locksmith seems to think it would be to loose, but we didn't try a cut key. I have options based on an Acura key, a Honda key and a Jaguar key that I want to try next week, so stand by.

·
Registered
7,386 Posts
Info from the key I've been using for the last 17 years, a Cole TO33, and the head seems to have been modifyed too.
- there is a TR33 on the back side too.

·
Premium Member
8,373 Posts
The Honda/Acura key goes in but I believe its too tight to work properly!!

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Hey, RedP85, someone really ground away at that key head. I hope I have found some "no-grind" options soon. Stand by.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Whelp, basically mostly struck out. I had gone through an ILCO on-line key blank catalog and selected key blanks that look similar to ours with small heads. Possibilities were Acura X183 or X189 or X209, Ford X244, Jag X177, Honda Motorcycle HD45, or Kawasaki X90. Locksmith tried a couple (one was Honda X181) and examined the rest; then said none of those will work. He said a T61G blank might work but he doesn't have any and his suppliers don't have any. So I am looking for a T61G blank to try.

That leaves us with grinding down heads on a B56 or TR33 series key or shaving the small fins off the edges of the Yamaha YM63/X248 key blank. I haven't totally given up on a direct fit option, but nothing except T61G looks promising at the moment.

·
Premium Member
8,373 Posts
Mike PM your mailing address, I'll send you a couple of key to try...with fire season I wont have much spare time to get to a key shop and or the dealer...

21 - 34 of 34 Posts