Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off: Hi to everyone on this site.
So, as the title says, im a kid(14) with a mk2(84 p-type)
Info:My dad got it for me for my 12th birthday, it was wrecked and we picked up it and a parts car for 400$.
Brought it home, put in new spark plugs and cables, had it running a few days after. Currently in one of my dads friends' shops, getting a new front clip and repainted.
My dad has been selling toyotas as long as i can remember, but just recently stopped and went to a local chevy dealer. I grew up around toyotas and mid-80s muscle cars, so i've loved them both for a long time. i've always loved supras, but had never heard of the mk2s(or mk1/mk3 as far as that goes) untill i turned 11. Then i started learning more about imports, more about the engines, and i've been trying to learn as much as possible lately, as i am hoping to swap in a 7m after i turn 18. I read SuperStreet every month, I watch most any races i can, and i go to the drag strip some friday nights to see my buds friends run their hondas.
I'll have pics up asap, and i hope to get alot from this forum. :D
EDIT: 1 pic of the supra up now, its the only one i have right now lol

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Welcome to our forums. My general advice is:
- Look at the stickies in each section that interests you (if you aren't turbo-ing, why bother looking at that forum initially), PLUS the FAQ forum - no reason to reinvent the wheel.
- Change out ALL the fluids. that means brake fluid, power steering fluid (which takes Dextron II/III ATF!!!! NOT yellow ATF - unless you want to destroy the seals), Clutch fluid, diff fluid, etc. And maybe re-grease all the wheel bearings.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.
I'm really interested in a 7m swap right now, i wouldn't have to do any upgrades to it right away, and it would be a lot more fun to drive(i think).
I heard that all you have to do for the 7m is slide the motor/transmission mounts back, is that correct? or was i mislead?(by all i mean to get the motor to fit, I'm guessing theres a lot more needed for it to be 100%, don't hate me lol)

·
Registered
464 Posts
yea there is alot more than you think...i am doing one at the moment myself. and no you dont have to move the motor and tranny back..the 7m block is the same as the 5m, and you can use the transmission you have in yours for the 7m. the hardest thing i think in the swap is the wirring.. get 935motorsports to make you a sub harness to plug your wiring up alot easyer. you have to get the msd tach adapter also and etc etc.. just search on here and you will find all you need.. look in engine swaps. i been loading up on all kinda info for about 4 months now, and there is ALOT i didnt know before. search and search and you will learn bout everything you need to know bout the swaps.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Yea I'll be surprised if you wait until your 18 to do a swap, a good amount of people here did swaps as a learning experience and learned off the mk2 as their first car... I am only 18 but I was 16 when i got my supra. I am now doing a 7mge swap and never got to drive the ol' 5m (rod knock) but I got all of my general engine and car knowledge here from the forum which is full of great info gathered by many of the great members who put the time and effort in to help others... stick around, when you are bored look through the threads and you'll be surprised how much you will learn. Good luck with the repair and restoration, also watch out for the sale ads.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
637 Posts
I remember when i was 12 and got my first car/import :) 83 280zx loved it got it running loaned it to my brother and TOAST lol fucked my motor up, i still have it till this day, am now 19 got my supra when i was 17, replaced three 5mge's on it lol do not ask how or why lol, but did it all my self.

now that am 19 just got a 1978 datsun 280z and love the attention i get when driving it to work or just to the store, makes you feel good owning something classic from 70's or 80's like the supra, sorry for the long story lol, but when you mentioned 14 i remembered those days lol

PS, Good luck, Don't give up, and enjoy and care for your supra as it will the same for you. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Treece, i knew you could use the 5m trans, and i've heard some say its a better option the the 7m trans.

@ everyone else: Thanks for the warm welcome :D

@83zed&supra: Awesome story, are you gonna do anything to the 280z?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Unless your really mature and not an idiot.... (its hard when your a teenager.... personally holding back as much as possible) I'd hold off on the headache with tickets/accidents. Its not worth it to have an overpowered car and under-experienced driver. Just had a friend that caused a $30k accident in a car that had way too much balls for him. He's DONE driving until 25+

Welcome.... that supra looks hurt! Any story behind the accident

·
Registered
13,185 Posts
Welcome Jon, from an hour south.

Words of the wise: Read lots, Brakes and suspension first, and Start racing as soon as you can (autocross or trackday). Power is cool, but it's expensive and doesn't always make the drive more "fun".

If you and your dad ever find yourselves in Greenville, feel free to stop by and I'll give you a couple-hour lesson on everything that is mk2 supra modification (cost, difficulty, impressions) and back-to-back rides in different levels of supra (bone stock, suspension/brake modified stock, and holy-cow fast turbo beast). It will truly help you decide what direction you plan to take in the future.

--billyM

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
welcome Jon, and i agree what billy said, for your age, nothing is wrong with reading, reading, and reading as much of the stickies and using search! dont be in a rush to complete it, that will come with time, but gather as much intel as you can, before, and by the time your ready, 16, 17, or 18 years old, or whatever, you'll have a better approach to what you have in mind for your car!!! again, welcome!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just wrote up a 7M Swap Guide, the link is in my sig. Good to hear it was saved!
I've been studying that guide for the past few days, and will be studying it more and more after i get the suppy back, most likely 2nd-3rd week of april. :D

@SupraEv: i've had lots of people say im very mature for my age, and i am by no means a complete idiot :)

@Billy: We normally go to my aunts condo in myrtle beach, might stop by in a year or two

and @Johnny: Thanks.

So, some background on the wreck itself...well, i honestly dont know that much, other than the previous owner was a terrible driver, wrecking his next ride about 2 weeks after selling the supras.

Also, if i do decide to put a 7m/other engine in, I actually will leave it stock, i really liked the 7m, because it was a nice hp increase, but not insane, considering the weight of the mk2s. And its a lot cheaper than a jz swap, which is a big plus for me lol.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Also, if i do decide to put a 7m/other engine in, I actually will leave it stock, i really liked the 7m, because it was a nice hp increase, but not insane, considering the weight of the mk2s. And its a lot cheaper than a jz swap, which is a big plus for me lol.
I'm now 19 and put my swap together before graduating from high school. The car had more power than I knew what to do with. In turn -I "accidently" blew it up. (not in a literal sense of the word, I just completely dropped compression in cylinder #3).

It was worth it though, I learned alot in just over a year. You'll enjoy doing the swap, driving the car and having the knowledge. I would say if your father is a car guy and has the tools to get the swap done the only part that tripped me up was the rewire, which really isn't too hard (one of my friends did mine). Just know that you should first research the swap before asking a bunch of easy questions. I have a bunch of links that I used when completed my swap, PM me if you want them, i'll have to search around on my computer and find them.

Good luck,

Tony

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ahhhh my first car was an 85 Supra with only 67k orig miles on it in near mint condition. BIGGEST MISTAKE EVER. Not buying the car, but driving the car at such a young age. Coming here already shows your more mature then me when I was 17 and your younger then that now. Take some advice from me. I loved driving that car so much a got a job delivering pizzas for PJ's just to show it off everywhere I went. By the time I was done with it in two shorts years it had 100k more miles a blown gasket, warped the aluminum head, replaced the trans and was in two minor accidents. Not to mention 5 speeding tickets and two insurance companies dropped me. But the many girls it picked up made me forget all of that at the time. Now looking back as I do a lot these days, I trade it all back just to have my baby back the way she was when I first bought her in 1997 sitting in a garage just washing and waxing her and week ends only driving. Damn I should have taken my uncle's advice and let him hold on to it for me when I was "ready".

But welcome and, adhere to everyone's advice. We will teach you the respectable way to treat a MKII.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts