Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Hey Billy,

Glad to see your made it home safe. I did some reading and something is up with my turbo setup. One guy who has the exact same JT-58 turbo makes 19PSI by 3800 RPM?! Also a couple of the guys who have the JT-56 are 15 PSI by 3200 RPM. I checked my log:

3000 RPM ~ 2 PSI
4000 RPM ~ 8 PSI
4800 RPM ~ 15 PSI

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?98074-JT58-Series-Turbo-Questions

It is true Billy runs away from me until I get to 5000 RPMs. And my current redline is only 6000 RPM.

-John

·
Registered
612 Posts
3rd gear pull starting at 1000RPMs shows it only about 200 RPM sooner for all three marks reported above.

·
Registered
402 Posts
false advertisement until proven by video. lol
like you said, statement false until proven. haha we want video!

edit:

Also HP isn't everything. Acceleration is where you won :laugh:

·
Super Moderator
8,165 Posts
Standalone right? Have you fully tuned the ignition and fuel maps? 4800 RPM at 15 psi is silly unless you have a big big turbo.

·
Registered
13,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
^ Fuel is spot-on, but has some conservative (not stupidly so) ignition maps.

Next step is to log the factory ECU (mine) for ignition angle under varying circumstances and then see where his maps differ.

It wouldn't hurt to see some other standalone 7m timing maps to boot....

*JP, where's our vids?*

--billyM

·
Registered
13,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is awesome! I don't need video proof, I just wish I was there.
Post dyno'ing 50ftlbs better than me, John was saying something along the lines of he would have no trouble keeping up on the dragon this time...

...so I'm seeing a re-match in the near future.

(If he gets that thing spooling right, I'm totally cheating and putting on R-compounds though...)

--billyM

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
That said, I'd start by removing the MBC and tighten the wastegate up until it holds 14psi or so...
see if that changes anything...

--billyM
This.....

·
Registered
612 Posts
Is that all the evidence you got, cause I ain't convinced.

No boost leaks, other than a tiny one from the PCV and another small one from the Idle Valve which I fixed. No difference. I'll check for exhaust leaks tomorrow, but no obvious signs or sounds. Wastegate is as tight as it will go and makes about 10 PSI, but no significant changes to boost curve. Turbo spins freely. <sigh>

-John

1 - 20 of 39 Posts