Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Killed a '84 (ish) Celica.....

4K views 33 replies 19 participants last post by  Black Dawg 
#1 ·
Was at a stoplight on Highway 99 near Sherwood when a mid-80s celica pulls up next to me. Nice and clean, white paint. Well the light changed and he launched hard. Me, I always drive with a certain "flair" aka pedal to the metal ALWAYS. To my suprise, he pulled me all the way thru first gear! Once he shifted into second, I pulled him (I've got an auto). The guy was cool, he pulled up next to me and gave me the thumbs up, I waved at him. Oh, and my buddy was in the car too. It was fun.

But....

Why did he pull me SO hard off the line? I mean hard, he pulled at least a car length on me! My "mods" include stock exhaust, cheap cone filter, and '81 electronics. I have a 4 speed auto (which I shift manually). Is there something wrong with my car? the engine pulls very strong in the upper range, but I can't get the thing out of the hole for anything. What's up? Do I just need to swap in a manual?

#6 ·
Sam.. Jamie Bergen was running an Auto trans with a set of 4.30's behind it in her 6M.... and she's running pretty damn quick like that. Save the money on the 5 speed... swap in a 4.30, and drop a tundra v-8 into your truck :)

#8 ·
SupraBob said:
Jamie Bergen was running an Auto trans with a set of 4.30's behind it in her 6M.... and she's running pretty damn quick like that
She was also running 245/50-14's so it ends up being like 4.5 something IIRC.

She hung with an MKIII running 15 psi on a t3/t4 hybrid turbo.... 8)

#9 ·
FWDsux said:
She was also running 245/50-14's so it ends up being like 4.5 something IIRC.

She hung with an MKIII running 15 psi on a t3/t4 hybrid turbo.... 8)
Ya know what...I never even really thought about that, even tho I knew she had those tires... so thats her secrete... :wink:

#14 ·
zankone said:
good kill. Mods on a car never end :lol:
How is it a 'good kill'? I'd be pretty pissed if I had an A6 Supra and got beaten by an A6 Celica (assuming it was near stock)... I mean, really!

BTW They come with all sorts of rear end gears, and I always thought autos had higher ratios than manuals. And remember, IRS A6 celi is intercahngeable with A6 Supra from the firewall back. Some GTSs had LSD from the factory - was it a GT or GTS celica? Old style front end or new style?

#15 ·
those 22re can be torqie little monsters....

I used to have a old 83 gt loved it to death (literaly :( )

#19 ·
The celicas are pretty quick out of the hole but have absolutely no top end. I have a 85 GTS and can take most cars out of the hole due to weighing in at around 2900lbs with me in the car and a full tank of gas, not to mention the torque peak at 2800 rpm. Although the motor is useless above about 5000rpm, it just won't rev any more, at least not quickly. I bet you could get a better launch if you power braked your car a little first to get the revs up.

If anyone is in the Santa Barbara area I'd love to race just for fun and to see what happens.

#20 ·
yeah, im an aussie, SA..
he has a 2 inch exhaust and an open air filter
he's also got 16x7's and a short shifter.. nice car but has no top end, past 4750-ish its fairly breathless, his engine has done about 300,000 kms too!

#21 ·
Grr...just lost my whole post I typed up, so here's the summary.

No power button on my tranny, remember I'm in an MKI. Don't need it, I have no kick down and shift it manually anyways. I'm running on 195/70r14s right now with 3.73 gears. As I'm in an MKI, the wieght difference is minimal, in fact the two cars are nearly the same, as far as I know. I need to get my car on a scale some time. Another problem I think is my stock for MKI exhaust, something like 1-7/8", complete with leaks, plugged cat, and rusted out muffler. A 2.5" and header is on my list, as is a 4.1 or 4.30 rear end. Another possible problem is the 5M-E electronics may not be rich enough for the 5M-GE, maybe I should do the AFM mod? Power braking may have helped, but whenever I do it, it doesn't seem to make much if any difference as the revs do not come up very high.

List of VERY soon upgrades are:
new BFG radial/TAs in 225/60r14 on my MKII rims
new rear gears (4.10, 4.30 if I can find some for my rear end, it's solid, not IRS)
exhaust
header
brakes (needed badly!)
shocks

I will also be replacing the TPS and the O2 sensor.

Is there anything else anyone can think of as to why I got so thoroughly owned? Anything else I should think about doing to my car (besides turbo)?

#25 ·
haha yeah the y do look like ass

but yeah with anicley boosted motor i could see an alltrac celica being fast :?

#26 ·
I had an '84 GTS that appeared to just rip out of the hole. Then I finally started doing research on it, and determined what the rear gears were. They were 3.46 non-lsd even w/ the 5 speed. From where I've read up on it, I believed the majority of RWD Celis had those gears, which I thought made for a good top end beings they redline at 5500. My GTS pinned 125 a few times, never could squeeze 130 out of it though. I think most Celicas look like ass after '85 with the exception of '94s-03s :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.