Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
driving my friends 7mge car yesterday night, i was driving down whyte ave, which is our "cruise strip".
some kids in a brand new tiburon SE pull up beside me and rev a bit.
i figured i had some time to kill, so i revved back and it was on.

he jumped the light by a couple seconds, but i caught up, and pulled past before 3rd gear.

noticed this big sedan behind me and prayed it wasnt a cop car, then a sweet white, tinted out oldsmobile intrigue slipped between me and the tiburon and blew us both away.

the tiburon was embarrassed and i was curious, but i wasnt able to catch the olds cause i didnt feel like going 120+ kph down a busy street.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Was the car you were driving a MkII 7M or a MKIII 7m? If it was a MkII then I will have to give more respect to the new Tibouron. If it was a MkIII 7m non turbo, then I am not really surprised. A friend of mine had an 87' non-turbo, and it was never faster than my bone stock 83'. The MkIII's are heavy cars!

As for the Olds, I think they use GM's 3.8 V6, which is a strong motor. My sister has a 1990 Bonneville that she uses as a dailey beater with that 3.8 non super charged engine. The car has 188,xxx miles on it, unrebuilt and it is still quick for a FWD mid size sedan. I am pretty certain It would walk away from my MkII. I love my MkII but it is 20 years old with 230K miles.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ah, sorry, the car i was driving is a rather rough, poorly tuned 7m non turbo.

i still cant give the tiburons any credit, as my truck can keep up with them till about 100kph, and its an old pos.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts