Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the one that drove me to over $5000 in mods. I was in an intersection where the two lanes compressed into one about 300 yards out. A GMC Envoy pulls up beside me and blew me out at about 250 yards. Well talk humiliation for my pristine white 85 Mk2. So I said never again and by next week my bored - decked - ported - headered - all new valve trained - cat back- rabid chimp intaked and ACT clutched beauty should hit the street. Never again.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Heh heh...

Now go find that SUV drivin' bastaad and give him a lesson!

However, this might explain why you got pounded by the Envoy...

Vortec™ 4200 4.2 liter inline 6-cylinder with 275 horsepower @ 6000 RPM and 275 lb ft torque @ 3600
Regardless of the fact that it weighs 5,550 lbs in 2WD form - thats still 275 hp and torque that you played with.

So....I hope those $5000 mods you made really upped your HP! Best of luck bro ;)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yeah, I have an Envoy in addition to my Supra. The main reason I got the GMC over any other SUV was the inline six. It really hauls ass.
The cornering ain't so hot though..... :shock:

·
Registered
120 Posts
artm said:
Here's the one that drove me to over $5000 in mods. I was in an intersection where the two lanes compressed into one about 300 yards out. A GMC Envoy pulls up beside me and blew me out at about 250 yards. Well talk humiliation for my pristine white 85 Mk2. So I said never again and by next week my bored - decked - ported - headered - all new valve trained - cat back- rabid chimp intaked and ACT clutched beauty should hit the street. Never again.

Don't feel bad, I had my ass handed to me by one as well.. But he didn't pull away fast....

·
Registered
793 Posts
Thats okay, take him through some turns amd watch him in the rear-view!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I've got most of the mods done, I've listed them under another thread on general tech. Seat of the pants meter is high but I'm now heading for tuning on the dyno and will get nitros put in in a couple of weeks. Problem is everyone backs off on me except for junk cars like cavaliers etc. (must be the sound 8). I hope to get out to the track soon to do some run times.
Art

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To follow up, I dynoed today and have 130ish hp at the rear wheels. I'd hoped for better with what I've done to the car so there's still some tuning to be done before the NOS goes in. I'll port the ignition runners and bore the TB. might also port the AFM as I'll stick with it until I see good results from the MAF conversion. I'll put up the dyno graph as I've got some ragged spots at high rpm and am not sure of the cause. Simulated run had me at 2.75 at 60 feet based on a 2500 rpm start. I didn't have the $'s to repeat at 3000 and 3500 - by the way a shift from 2nd to 5th doesn't do a lot for the 1/4 time - by the time I recovered I was over 17 secs and watching 1100cc generation 1 VWs disapear over the horizon :oops:
Art

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Art,

It sounds like you need some tuning.
A stock 85 should put about 130 to 135 HP to the rear wheels.
My 83 with only cone filter and Brullen catback (stock ex mani, stock cat, motor never opened up) puts about 135 HP to the rear wheels and does the quarter in 16.1 with 2.3 sec 60 foot times.

Post your dyno graphs and maybe we can all offer some advice.

·
Super Moderator
8,364 Posts
Looks like a Mustang dyno which reads slightly lower than the more common dyno jet. Although you are still probably low on power. With mods you should be able to pull 150 rwhp or so on a basic modded 5M (assuming a strong motor). BTW what is the dip from, a gear shift? Your graph isn't on the normal hp/torque vs RPM, so that is what I'd assume its from.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The dip is a 3 to 4 shift. Any ideas on the ragged line? Motor has only 90K and is fully rebuilt - cleaned up on short block didn't need new parts just new gasket set. Head is pretty much all redone with stage 2 port - 3 angle grind, all new cams/lifters/followers(OEM). I would have thought I'd beat 150 but I'll admit I can't tune worth a damm.

Is there a chance that my pasesetter header with the bad O2 location could be costing power, although since this was at WOT that shouldn't matter?

I've got a lead on a good tuner with a better dyno so I'll try some runs next week.

·
Super Moderator
8,364 Posts
Could be an ignition problem. You might be tripping the knock sensor (you have an 85 right?).

·
Registered
85 Posts
artm said:
I'll port the ignition runners
I would really like to see *these* when they are done,... I didn't even know it was possible to do this. ;)
BTW,... What are "ignition runners"?
Jamie

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SilverMK2 - yes it's an 85 - does tripping the knock sensor mean I'm too lean? I've done the AFM mod 92 teeth) and wonder if I should reverse or try another tooth? Perhaps that's best discovered on the dyno.

·
Super Moderator
8,364 Posts
You trip the knock sensor when you have too much ignition advance or poor gas/low octane for how the engine is setup. Basically anytime you get "pinging" (although you won't hear it with a knock sensor car). I assume you mean 2 teeth and not 92 teeth, because thats a huge adjustment :eek:. You might talk to the dyno guy about the zig zags in the curve. They would probably have a good idea as to what it is. Who knows it could be a dyno equipment issue.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts