Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Haven't seen many pictures of the Klearz lenses posted so I took a bunch of pics along the way if anyone wants a better look.

First I ordered some amber 1156 LED's from v-led, this way there will be no amber reflection when not lit.

Got the Klearz in the mail, comparing them to my originals...

Gotta give them props, they even say TOYOTA / JAPAN etc. - They look just like the originals (save for being the euro-style)

Old lenses were easy enough to get off. See the removal tips from CelicaDrifts and 5M_Rob here.

Rubber bands while the new sealant dries, just for good measure.

Final product...

Unfortunately the amber LED I want to use for the T10 (168/198) bulb on the side is on backorder till early next month, so for now I only did a test fit and tried out the front LED's. I will post a few more pictures in a few weeks when it's all back together.

The camera actually makes the bulb look more white than it is, in reality it is a very nice deep amber.

That's all I have for you for now. I have more work to do on the front end to make it all look nice but I had to snatch up a set of these before they stop making them.

Edit 05/18/13---

A few new pictures, I finally got my bulbs in the mail. I am going a different route with wiring, and am waiting on more components in the mail still but took some shots with both bulbs in...

This is how it looks in daylight with both bulbs installed...

With bulbs lit in daylight-

With bulbs lit in the dark-

And a flasher gif with both bulbs-

Soon I will have them wired so they will both act as markers with the lights dimmed a bit and they will flash at full power.

Right now my car is stuck in my shop while I finish up my intake project and get everything else I have been working on reassembled so I haven't taken any legit pictures of the Klearz installed out in the open but I promise I will soon ;)

Edit 05/20/13---

Wow! So my resistors showed up quicker than I thought they would. My car is all put back together now, this is the final result of my Klearz project!

Here is a little video clip of how my marker/flasher mod came out...

And a gif of the final result...

Edit 07/21/13---

Some quick outside pics outside my work...

Edit 09/24/15---

It's been over 2 years since I put these on. Crazy. Here are a few more recent pictures of the car.

Edit 05/17/16---

Dead image links from previous host have all been fixed.

·
Premium Member
5,540 Posts
Nice! I went with the LEDs, also. While I was at it I modified my turn signals to a two filament bulb from the stock #1156 single filament. I also did this mod several years ago to my other two white Supras. That way the lights stay on and when the turn signal blinks it goes dim-bright, dim-bright... instead of off-on, off on... like the stock 1156 turnsignals pictured above. You are a bit more visible to others. It looks way nicer too. The stock single filament bulb is either on or it's off whereas the mod with the dual filament bulb has a dim 4watt filament and a bright 27watt filament for flashing.
You don't have to modify anything on the car - just change the light sockets and slightly modify the wires that are attached to the turnsignal housing itself which are easy to get to since the housing is off for changing out the lenses anyway.
I used 2 each GM style sockets, part number 85881 (for #3157 bulbs) from Dorman (a common brand name you can find at any parts store) or you can instead use 85875 socket if you want to use #1157 bulbs; but I prefer the 3157 because there's no way to accidently get the bulb in backwards and they don't work loose either - the 3157s are positive-lock snap-in bulbs.
I will post pics and a vid here when I get back from Tail of the Dragon.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I would like to do is have the side marker and front signal always doing the same thing. Without the marker lights on, I would like them both to flash as a turn signal. With the markers on, I would like them both to stay lit until the flasher activates them to turn off/flash. Not sure if it's possible or how I would go about wiring them for that behavior though.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there a special hook up for leds or do they go right in?
That has been covered many times on more forums than you could possibly count my friend, including this very one. I will give you a quick rundown anyway...

You can get LED's that directly plug in to pretty much any 12v automotive electrical socket, I have even seen the super old screw base bulbs in led.

The most popular sites I see recommended for buying them is http://www.superbrightleds.com/ and http://www.vleds.com/

Often times due to the much lower draw of LED bulbs your turn signal will flash super fast if you use them in a signal socket (such as we are discussing in this thread) to fix this you can replace your thermal/mechanical flasher with an electronic flasher equivalent (the way to go) or you can wire in some resistors in increase the draw (an alternative).

That's some general information, if you have more questions I would implore you to search around or post your question in another thread that is entirely about LED's.

Somewhat back on topic now even though this is a picture post thread ;) - 4SFED (or anyone else who's done his mod) I would very much like to see a video clip of your signal mod when you get a chance to post it. Seeing it in action will help me decide which direction I want to go with mine.

·
Premium Member
5,540 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,540 Posts
I modified the turnsignals to dual filaments so they go bright-dim, bright-dim instead of on-off, on-off. I also put a little LED light on the side marker light of the turnsignal. You can see that it's quite bright. It could actually be wired to flash on-off with the turnsignal if wanted.
I ripped out the diffusers from inside the foglights so now they are a bright Running Light. I also modified the foglight switch so they can be turned on without turning on the headlights to make them a Daytime Running Light.
Next, I'll be putting the Klearz in.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for posting that video sample. I like the look but I would definitely like to make the side marker flash with the signal. I still need to do the fog light wiring mod to enable them without the headlights, I remember reading it awhile back and it sounded simple to do but I never got around to it. So much to do... :p

·
Premium Member
5,540 Posts
I put together a pair of KLEARS smoked for Ronnie RacefanFoster.

I wired in GM-style dual filament bulb holders - three wires: dim, bright, and ground.

I had to check them out on Athena first before shipping them off to Ronnie.

Light switch on second click and fog lights on. Cloudy today.

left blinker on - don't know if my camera caught it at its brightest. BTW, Amber bulbs used

lights off again

Come on Dave, let me in a picture - I'll make my ear disappear!

·
POTATO
17,207 Posts
Pretty wicked Dave. I am considering doing that mod when I can afford the clear turn signals, though I am unsure how it will look >.>

·
Registered
112 Posts
Smoked looks great Dave. I went with the clear lens. I think I should have gone with the smoked amber. Maybe I'll do that some time in the future.

·
Premium Member
5,540 Posts

Someone was asking how I hooked mine up so I looked for some pics I had taken when I wired them up awhile back. The first little pic I used solderless connectors a few years back and they're still going good.
I dug up a couple more pics I took when I did another set of lights this past summer. It appears that the White with Black stripe is ground for both the turn signal and marker. The solid Green also goes to turn signal and marker so that would be the 4watt that stays on constant with lights on. The Green with Yellow stripe must be the 27watt flasher. You could hook the marker light to the flashing 27w also instead of to the 4 watt but I think it'd burn out sooner.

·
Premium Member
5,540 Posts
Well, I finally got around to doing the same hook up for my '84 Supras (I now have a pair of '84 maroon or RBB Supras) but they aren't like the '85s! Same style turnsignal and interchangeable with '85 signals but the headlight switch is apparently wired differently for the '84 vs. '85 Supra. With my '85s I drive during the day with the headlight switch on the second click so the headlights are not on but the turnsignal lights are lit with a steady 4watts and then flash with bright 27watts when the turnsignal is activated. In combination with the foglights converted to DRLs it makes you a lot more visible to other drivers. The '84 doesn't light up the turnsignal lights with 4watts when the headlight switch is on the second click nor when the headlight switch is all the way on like the '85 does with my mod. Time to sell all but the '85s.

·
Premium Member
5,540 Posts
Never mind the previous post - I had a blown fuse in the engine room. Taillight fuse seems to also control body marker lights so that's why I wasn't getting the second filament to light up. However, I also wanted to use LED bulbs along with the mod. But these LED 3157s act like 3156 single filament bulb - they're either on or off - there doesn't seem to be a second circuit of LEDs like a second filament in the regular 3157 bulbs. I have to use regular incandescent bulbs to take advantage of the the dual filaments to flash dim-bright-dim-bright versus the on-off-on-off like the single filament.

·
Premium Member
5,540 Posts
Comparing the side marker light of the turnsignal. First one wired to flash with the turn signal and the second wired so the side marker stays lit when turn signal flashes. Both with the dual-filament turn signal mod.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts