Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

Just thought I'd share my new (hard-earned) knowledge. I finally got my car in for the Total Suspension Fix (ha-ha). I went with KYB gas shocks, Lovell Sport springs, and KMac strut caps in the front. Result:

Lovell springs are brilliant. Definitely better than Kings - though probably not as good as Eibachs (never ridden with them).

Rear is about 30mm lower and looks nice. Tends to squat a bit on take-off - really need the adjustable caps in the back (KMac don't make rears for our cars).

The springs brought the front down by 20mm. BUT, the strut caps then raised it back UP 25mm. So, I'm going to have to go with a different sprng in the front. With the nose in the air, the car looks ready to go airborne! Pitty, cause the only springs I can find to bring it back down are the show style low-riders that may not handle well.

So, I guess the moral of the story ts, where possible, add each componant seperately and drive it in before getting the next bit.

Next addition will probably be a Whiteline sway bar.

- Justin
JZA-61 in the making

·
Registered
655 Posts
re: KMAC strut caps

Does those adjust the camber in the front? How did the car feel after their install? Do you think it would be possible to install a strut tower bracke ontop of the strut cap? Thanks,

Sonny

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Strut brace - no problem
Adjustable camber & castor
Couldn't really tell you the difference they made - I got the springs & shocks at the same time.
Part of the reason for getting them was that Toyota Australia didn't have any new OEM strut caps in stock

HTH, Justin
JZA-61 in the making

·
Registered
930 Posts
JZA-61 said:
Hey folks,

Just thought I'd share my new (hard-earned) knowledge. I finally got my car in for the Total Suspension Fix (ha-ha). I went with KYB gas shocks, Lovell Sport springs, and KMac strut caps in the front. Result:

Lovell springs are brilliant. Definitely better than Kings - though probably not as good as Eibachs (never ridden with them).

Rear is about 30mm lower and looks nice. Tends to squat a bit on take-off - really need the adjustable caps in the back (KMac don't make rears for our cars).

The springs brought the front down by 20mm. BUT, the strut caps then raised it back UP 25mm. So, I'm going to have to go with a different sprng in the front. With the nose in the air, the car looks ready to go airborne! Pitty, cause the only springs I can find to bring it back down are the show style low-riders that may not handle well.

So, I guess the moral of the story ts, where possible, add each componant seperately and drive it in before getting the next bit.

Next addition will probably be a Whiteline sway bar.

- Justin
JZA-61 in the making
Justin, how did you determine Lovells were better than Kings?
Did you drive with both?
I need to know because I was just about to order a set of Kings.
Kings have two different models, one "street" lowers the car between 1.5 and 2 inches, the other "off-road" lowers the car about 3 inches.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
G'Day Ross,

I've only driven with Kings in other (ie not MA-61) cars. So, it's not really a fair comparison I know. I can say for sure that the Lovells have a great feel. But they're probably both good.

Personally, I'd steer (no pun intended :lol: ) clear of the show-car style low-riders. I know some of the Kings springs come plastered with warnings that they are not meant to be driven on - they're only guarenteed for looking pretty. Also, don't forget all the ADR and RTA compliance rules against lowering your car (basically, must have 100mm clearance at lowest point).

Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey JZA-61
Good to see other Perthites in here :)

How much did that set up cost you?
And where abouts in Perth are you? I'm in Padbury

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Neighbour!

Springs were a competition 2nd place prize - ie free.
Shocks were about $450
K-Macs were $410
Plus labour ...

I'm in Mt. Hawthorn

I think we have the makings of a XX/MA-61 Perth Cruise ....

- Justin
JZA-61 in the works

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was living around that area for a while(yokine)

A XX Celica\MA61 Supra meet would be awesome, i know a couple of people around my area that would probably be interested(one has a 5m-gte mk2 and the other is in the midst of a 1g-gte conversion to his xx celica)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts