Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I have an 85 with an 82 motor in it. I know that the pre-85's didn't come with a knock sensor. Is it possible to install one in my case or not? I believe my check engine lite is on as a result of this.

Thanks,

Hosam

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Hosam;

I see you are in Toronto. I can help you find a solution to your problem. I have 83, 84 and 86 Mk2 Supras, and I have spare motors from an 82 and an 85 sitting in my garage.

If you used the wiring harness and ECU that came with the 85 car, you could weld a fitting onto the block for a knock sensor. If you used the 82 wiring harness and the 85 ECU, it will be a bit tougher...

You should come out to the next Toronto Supra Club meet, and we can talk about it.

Check out http://www.torontosupraclub.com/gha.html for details. We will be meeting there Friday night at 7:30. Look me up... I'll be driving my white 83 if it isn't snowing.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have an 85 mkii and the engine block must be a defferent one. Cuz me oxygen sensor is locate at the coolant housing where the warmup sensor at.
thanks!

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Pictures please????

Coolant housing???? Do you mean where the thermostat is located???? Something sounds VERY WRONG here!!!! There are no exhaust gasses flowing around where the thermostat housing is located...

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Dean's correct. You can install a knock sensor onto the 82 block. I had a 85, and installed a 82 motor into it. I JB welded the knock sensor nut (can't remember thread pitch or sizing) onto the side of the block. It held for two years. When I took the engine out, I just touched the knock sensor nut, and it fell off. Find a good cast iron welder, and get a nut onto that block.
-Aaron

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
To add a bit here.The 82-4 block has a big round flat spot,in the same place as the boss for the 85-8 Knock sensor "cressy's used 5mge till 88,for those not in the know :D "
Don C. and myself,over the years,have just drilled and tapped that flat spot,being very careful of course,and have never had a problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts