Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright Guys,

Ive got this car, and after finally getting it to run due to a bad woodruff key on the timing gear on the crank i was driving it and when i got home it had an odd knocking that appears to be coming from the Timing Cover. Ive had both valve covers off, nothing seems out of place. I am 99% sure that its not a rod, due to plenty of high revs and still no catastrophic failure. It still holds decent oil pressure, and it doesn't have any metal shavings in the oil. It is a very loud metal to metal sounding knock that goes up as RPM's do. I thought it was the Crank Pulley hitting the lower timing cover so i put it all back together minus the cover and it still has the same sound. Using a screwdriver as a stethoscope you can hear it through the front of the Valve Covers but it is much louder through the timing housing.

Thanks Guys.

EDIT

Is there anyway it could be something to do with the valves themselves?

·
Registered
637 Posts
have you tried listening to it from under the car?
i had a rod knock on my 83 5m block,it still held good oil pressure and lasted me more than 2000 miles of abuse and a lot of high speed runs, i replaced it with a higher compression block out of a cressi from another member here.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
have you tried listening to it from under the car?
i had a rod knock on my 83 5m block,it still held good oil pressure and lasted me more than 2000 miles of abuse and a lot of high speed runs, i replaced it with a higher compression block out of a cressi from another member here.
I have, and as i said im like 99% positive that that isnt the problem.. but ya never know.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Did you carefully inspect all of the timing/crank parts when you replaced the woodruff key? A loose or sloppy-fitting pulley on the crankshaft can cause a knocking noise. Did the crank snout get damaged, or did you get lucky and catch it in time? Is the crank pulley bolt tight enough (181 ft. lbs.)? I'd go back, disassemble the crank timing parts, and recheck everything to make sure all of the clearances are tight.

(<Once repaired/replaced the timing gear and woodruff key on a previous Supra.)

·
Registered
515 Posts
I had a sick knocking noise when I got my Cressida. I narrowed it down to a loose radiator fan. After I tightened the assembly, it went away.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you carefully inspect all of the timing/crank parts when you replaced the woodruff key? A loose or sloppy-fitting pulley on the crankshaft can cause a knocking noise. Did the crank snout get damaged, or did you get lucky and catch it in time? Is the crank pulley bolt tight enough (181 ft. lbs.)? I'd go back, disassemble the crank timing parts, and recheck everything to make sure all of the clearances are tight.

(<Once repaired/replaced the timing gear and woodruff key on a previous Supra.)
It messed up the Crank a little bit on the timing key hole. The crank key hole is in good shape though. Everything seems to fit pretty tight even with the damage though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a sick knocking noise when I got my Cressida. I narrowed it down to a loose radiator fan. After I tightened the assembly, it went away.
It has an aftermarket electric fan so I'm pretty sure that's not the problem, good catch though, ill remember that on my other 2.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'ts Dead

Well Boys,

Shes done, The gaping hole in the side of the block says it all.

Clinton

1 - 10 of 10 Posts