Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

I've been kicking this around for some time now and its coming down to decision time. I've heard some mixed comments and remarks about both products and I want to see what experience has to say on both ends.

I'm comparing KYB AGX inserts to Koni Yellow race inserts for the front of my car. (MR2 mod)

Some say they cannot be compared, others say it depends on what your going to use the car for. But Wes stated it the best so far:

Wesley Hetrick
It depends if you think the best is worth double. AGX are good, and durable, the adjustment range of AGX is more narrow than Koni. IF you are racing and want to win go Koni, if you are driving on the street and just want great handling go AGX, you will never know the difference on the street.

AGX

http://www.kyb.com/products/shocks/agx.php

With that being said I'll start with the AGX. I've read a couple of autocross guys talking about this in various threads and they generally say that for the track the AGX isn't up to the task.

Rumor: They weaken over time and you end up bumping up to the next setting to retain stiffness. Is this something more than one person has experienced?

Comments

- 4 way adjustable externally
- They are offered at a very reasonable price. (~120$ each)
- Guaranteed for life (they say) does anyone have experience with the warranty?
- Great for street applications

But - how good are they for the guys who want to go back and forth from the track, guys that DD their cars and race on weekends?

Koni Race inserts

http://www.koni-na.com/race.cfm

Regular Koni yellows
http://www.koni-na.com/cat_search.c...od_id=382&submit.x=2&submit.y=8&submit=Search

I dont know as much about these struts but from what I've been reading this is what I have learned.

Comments

- Externally adjustable
- NOT guaranteed for life (but the standard yellows are)
- (~220$ each)
- More range of adjustability than AGX
- Can withstand hard track use

One of my friends asked me if they were for on or offroad use. He brought up a point, he said if it was intented for track use only they might not stand up the harshness of shitty roads and potholes, that it might mess up the dampening. Is this possible? Should they really only be used for on track applications?

Bottom line: Price vs. durability and performance.

Most of us are budget builders who drive our cars on the street, but often we want to have that little extra to take to the track. Is KYB AGX the best solution? Or are the more expensive Konis the way to go?

For everyones reference if they want to recommend something for my car personally I'm running ground control front coilover sleeves (500 lbs spring rate), I have poly bushings, front strut bar and am shopping for camber plates. I also have addco sway bars to be installed. I'm going to mod my strut housings to fit an MR2 strut insert.

The rear I was planning on using the focus AGX shock, I'm running 400 lbs springs.

Open discussion:

·
Registered
687 Posts
If you can save up and drop the 1000 bucks for konis all the way around I would. I have AGX's have done multiple drift and grip days and im wishing i had more out of my suspension that what AGX's offered. But now with the megan coilover kit I would think that would probly be the best bet at the moment only being 1000 bucks for the complete front and rear. These kits are going to be offered soon. I would just wait since this kit is built for our cars unlike taking parts from other cars to make suspension for ours. Was the best thing out there when I did my coilover set up but now there should be a new better set up for cheaper.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
To do a fair comparison, you should list which KONI part# you are talking about. There are several different applications that have been used by members. The most common application would be the MR2 rears for our front. There is also a Race strut from koni, and a couple of other models that fit.

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had the link posted under the picture

http://www.koni-na.com/cat_search.c...od_id=382&submit.x=2&submit.y=8&submit=Search

92 MR2

Rear: 8641 1221Sport

They only list the sport. But I am talking about the race inserts.

Note: the race inserts offer no warranty. Hmmm

I updated the first post. I want to be specific, I want to know more details about the Koni RACE inserts, and maybe compare them to the standard yellows vs. KYB

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Jamie,

I am currently running the adjustable Koni Race Struts. They are set up to dampen 500 lb/in springs or stiffer (I am running 500 lb/in springs with them). My rears are 12-way adjustable QA-1's. I am running about setting-2 with a 300 lb/in spring rate.

Regards,

Carlos

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks Carlos.

- How do you rate the performance of the Koni race inserts?

- Do you have model numbers for the QA1 shocks and what application they are for? And how would you rate them for performance?

·
Premium Member
6,134 Posts
Jamie, When I first did suspension, I had 350# fronts with AGX MR2 FRONTS-Less stroke, slightly softer to match lower spring rates. They lasted about 25K of street driving, with 5-6 track days, and a dozen fun runs. When I upgraded to 550s up front, they gave up the ghost. I just went thru what you are going thru, and decided to buy REAR MR2 AGXs this time instead of the double adjustable full race Konis. I couldnt justify going with the MR2 koni inserts over the AGXs, and the full race Double Adjustable ones are going to require strut case shortening and a 1/2 inch hole drilled thru strut case for rebound adjuster. After driving around for a week on the new AGxs/550# combo, they are plenty stiff in compression. It would be nice to have some rebound adjustment with the stiffer springs, Ill bet Im gonna haveta spring for the full race Konis next upgrade(Wheels, Big Brakes, ETC). Buy the AGXs, and put aside $50 a month for the full race ones. Then you can buy a set right about when the AGXs crap out....Muhaha

·
Premium Member
6,134 Posts
My first set were bought from private party. If Summit Racing is still in Business in a year or two when these wear out, Ill check it out. Honestly, Wes nailed it. My car is still street biased, a Daily Driver that goes racing, Not a Race car that is streetable. For a car like his or Carlos or Franks, the Full race setup makes sense. Im not there yet....

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Jamie,

If you are looking for a daily-driver strut, I would not go with the Race Koni. In-fact, I would not run 500 lb/in springs on a DD. The Konis are great for controlling the springs, but for streetable ride quality it is pretty harsh... After about the 2nd-setting, you will forget that you have springs on the car. Much of your dampening will come from tire sidewall deflection. So, I think that this set-up crosses the line of being truly streetable - unless all of your streets are flat. Also, if you have a car that is not structurally sound, these shocks will shake it loose.

My rear QA-1's are true universal coil-overs. I believe that there is a thread on the forum where all of the info is posted.

The Koni Race Struts may not have a life-time warranty, but they are fully rebuildable. So it is like having a life-time warranty.

Regards,

Carlos

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm already running 500 lbs and I'm looking for a proper dampener. I may go with AGX for now until the car is ready to be abused on the track.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
i have the agx and 350lb front springs. i keep the shocks on setting number 3. i find it stiff, yet very streetable. my friends tell me its really stiff, but i guess im just used to it. been over a year now with no issues with the shocks/struts. i cant complain. for the price, they are good. i dont think you can compare them to the koni yellows. theyre in a totally different category, imo.

·
Premium Member
4,082 Posts
Why not the single adjustable koni "yellows"? SW20 rear for the front and mustang rear for the rear.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Jamie - Did you ever switch over to the Koni Yellows?

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nope the car went into 2jz project mode not long after I swapped the suspension. I'll try this AGX set-up out on the track because I liked it on the street. But when they go out the konis go in...

·
Registered
828 Posts
Awesome! Can't wait to see it running

1 - 16 of 16 Posts