Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw that a number of forum members are running the Konig Rewind 15x7 with 0 offset successfully, and I really dig the look, so I bought a set. Seeing as how there haven't been any complaints, and seeing as how others are running wide, 0 offset rims with tires that have roughly the same rolling diameter as mine, I'm wondering why I'm getting rubbing on the inside of my fender/top outside of my driver's side tire. This happens during mild driving when there is a change in elevation. I have to be extremely careful on any railroad tracks, and even then I sometimes rub the tire...

I'm running 215/60/15 Falken Ziex tires. They are slightly oversized, but I figured that since others have been getting away with this size, and even larger sizes, that I'd be fine! (And some of you guys even lower yours by an inch or more!!) So, any ideas on what the problem here is?

My first thought was that my springs are worn out, and I'm getting too much suspension travel. Does that seem like a reasonable hypothesis, or should I be looking elsewhere for a solution? The only replacement springs I can find will lower my car by at least an inch, so I'm concerned about doing that given the problems I've been having.

In summary: help! I'd like to stop rubbing my darn tire...

·
POTATO
17,232 Posts
the 0 offset may be a bit aggressive for your XX which -should- have a +20 offset from factory. some cheap 8mm spacers would probably help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never tried to alter the offset of a rim before, so excuse my possible ignorance here. But wouldn't adding spacers push the rim out further? Seems like I'd somehow need to remove material to push the rim further in under the fender.

I'm just confused since others have used this rim with 0 offset and don't seem to have the same complaints. Makes me think there is something different about my case, and the only thing that comes to mind is the possible weakness of the front suspension bouncing around too much. I'm shocked since some of these others have actually -lowered- their car, which seems to increase the possibility of the problem I'm having, yet I haven't seen any complaints from these folks either.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I'd need about 8mm of material lathed off of the inside of my front rims? Seems like this should be safe, since a +20 offset is possible on the Rewinds. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong and about to kill myself by throwing a wheel.

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
I think much of the problem is that your 215/60-15 tire is 25.2" tall in diameter, my stock 225/60-14 is 24.6" tall in diameter. So maybe that 0.6" taller tire causes much of the rubbing. Of course, I have no idea what your stock size tire is, sorry not familiar with your car model. The other thought I had is that you could benefit from some negative camber. Perhaps your car has very little camber? Negative camber will tilt the top of the tire inward, away from the fender, so that could help a bit.

Hope you get it worked out. I've run 245/45-16 tires on zero offset wheels for years, with a lowered susp, very little problem.

Don L.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Don. Good things to know.

I suspect that the 0.6" difference does make a difference here. 0.3" of that has to be absorbed by the fender well, and that factor might combine with weak suspension, too much positive camber, and degraded bushings to lead to rubbing.

I haven't seen much mention of it, but has anybody shaved material off the inside of their fender to prevent rubbing? Would that be a workable solution? I suspect I don't need a whole lot more room, as the rubbing occurs on the internal corner of the fender.

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
well, I've taken a hammer to the inside of my fender lip, there is a bit of a crease that can be flattened out some, plus I was able to reshape a bit. Ultimately, when I went with the huge tires, I cut away some of the metal fender lip, not really seen under my fiberglass flare anyway. Camber and caster can definitely increase tire rubbing depending on setting. I think lots of caster increases tire rub chances in the front of the wheelwell, or is the other way around.... can't remember. I just put caster kinda mid-range, the tires seem pretty centered in the wheelwell.

When looking for tires, at least for the usual Supra P-type, I look for tires with overall diameter of 24.6-24.8 inches. Keeps speedometer right, fits car best. You can probably get away with a 25.2" tire, especially in the rear (good for some gearing issues), but fronts are more tricky.

Don L.

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
Oh, L-type....no experience with those. Are the metal fenders the same as in the P-type? Maybe look at 225/50-15 tires. Bit shorter, almost like lowering your car without all the neg camber issues in the rear. Overall height is about 23.9"

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Oh, L-type....no experience with those. Are the metal fenders the same as in the P-type? Maybe look at 225/50-15 tires. Bit shorter, almost like lowering your car without all the neg camber issues in the rear. Overall height is about 23.9"
Yep - That's what I went with/ no problems: Konig Rewinds / Bridgestone, Potenza's - RE760 Sports, 225-50-R16 - I also think it might be your front suspension.
Any pics showing ride height?

·
Registered
13,094 Posts
195/70-14 at +8mm rubs on the front of an L-type on hard compression...

...and you're going 8mm further out due to wheels offset

...and an additional 8mm due to tire width of 215/60-15

...and an additional 6mm closer to fender from height

Good news is, if you stick a +15mm wheel on the front, you'll have no issues at all!

--billyM

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Aha!.... So I'd need to go +15mm to be totally safe from rubbing?
Before I look into machining a half of an inch of material from the inside of my rims, I'm going to see how much difference I can make by flattening the inside lip of the fender. I don't need to be able to withstand hard compression at the moment, but it would be nice to be able to drive over railroad tracks until I can afford a more permanent solution.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts