Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yeah so one of my wheels started to rust on me. It looks horrible and i contacted the shop they where bought from. And they contacted Konig for me and i was sent this,

To Whom it may concern;

Regarding the warrantable status of the Konig Rewind wheel pictures,
that were submitted to us via JLB Motorsport.
It appears to our inspection staff, that this would NOT be a warrantable
item.
It is an option to send the wheel in question for physical inspection,
however you would be responsible for the freight to JLB. (Not advised)

If in a further inspection the wheel is deemed warrantable, then Konig
would replace the wheel, and the freight would also be due to you the
customer.

This is crap, The rims are brand new and should not have any problems at all. I plan on writing a long letter to konig and the better business Bureau.

Rear rim

Front rim for comparison

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
uploading pics now

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Post some pics if you can, what are they made of?
iam not 100% sure but most likely aluminum/steel

when it first started i knocked it off with light steel wool. it didnt help, those pics are from last week and it looks 20x worse now.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Perhaps polish then clear coat? I can only really guess as to what to do, hope someone with experience chimes in...

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
I have no idea what Im looking at, but I can tell you have no clue how to care for the rims.

Why on earth wld you steel wool the spokes? They are painted... I can see the scour marks from here.

Im not familiar with these wheels, but im betting the machined lips were clearcoated too.

If they are infact raw.... use a creme polish like Blue Magic, Simichrome, or Flitz.

Whoops!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have no idea what Im looking at, but I can tell you have no clue how to care for the rims.

Why on earth wld you steel wool the spokes? They are painted... I can see the scour marks from here.

Im not familiar with these wheels, but im betting the machined lips were clearcoated too.

If they are infact raw.... use a creme polish like Blue Magic, Simichrome, or Flitz.

Whoops!
they have been cared for buddy, and the only reason i steel wooled them was because i had an event to go the weekend it started. regardless if i did it or not, the rim should not be rusting. There is no clear coat peeling off of it. It looks likes it never had clear. This started after rain. they where never wet before (besides from cleaning) every week. And they where always dried and polished.

its worse now ill take some more pictures tomorrow.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Polish will take very little material off and could take away a clear coat easy if it takes away slight amounts of metal.... Idk if i'm right but I'd say get the rust off do an even polish on all rims and then a good one or two layers of lighly sprayed clear coat from about 8-12 inches... But yea I've never restored wheels either. So we might wanna wait for the pros to chime in.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Polish will take very little material off and could take away a clear coat easy if it takes away slight amounts of metal.... Idk if i'm right but I'd say get the rust off do an even polish on all rims and then a good one or two layers of lighly sprayed clear coat from about 8-12 inches... But yea I've never restored wheels either. So we might wanna wait for the pros to chime in.
yeah thats the approach i was gonna take if they dont replace it. Thanks.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Also wanna say good luck and I LOVE the look of those rims. Does not matter what mk2 they are on they ALWAYS look good to me, Idk why. You should post pics when everything is all good.:D

·
Registered
401 Posts
I just got the very same rims, I'll keep an eye on them. I've only had them on for a week.

James

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Rust is oxidation of steel and yes aluminum will oxidize as well, but will look very different. Aluminum oxidation is grey in colour. That is steel oxidation we see in the pictures.

What has happened here is something most people don't realise and is quite a common misconception. When using steel wool on the aluminum parts some of the steel from the wool has broken off and embedded itself in the aluminum. That is what you see oxidizing, the orange/brown oxidation of steel we all call rust.

When working with stainless steel one should use stainless steel tools and when working with aluminum one should use aluminum tools, etc.

Most aluminum wheels are clear coated so it's not wise to scour the wheel with any kind of material that will remove this coating as you will start seeing grey aluminum oxidation with no clear coat and possibly other embedded material from any tools used.

So it all comes down to who used the steel on the wheel?

·
Premium Member
7,186 Posts
Bingo!

Rust is oxidation of steel and yes aluminum will oxidize as well, but will look very different. Aluminum oxidation is grey in colour. That is steel oxidation we see in the pictures.

What has happened here is something most people don't realise and is quite a common misconception. When using steel wool on the aluminum parts some of the steel from the wool has broken off and embedded itself in the aluminum. That is what you see oxidizing, the orange/brown oxidation of steel we all call rust.

When working with stainless steel one should use stainless steel tools and when working with aluminum one should use aluminum tools, etc.

Most aluminum wheels are clear coated so it's not wise to scour the wheel with any kind of material that will remove this coating as you will start seeing grey aluminum oxidation with no clear coat and possibly other embedded material from any tools used.

So it all comes down to who used the steel on the wheel?

·
Super Moderator
8,561 Posts
Are you sure its not from your brakes? There is usually well under .5% iron in aluminum casting alloys. You pretty much already ruined the wheels using steel wool on them though.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
+1 for rsdeo and Greg G.

I was thinking that no matter what material was used for the wheel, the sealant was obviously screwed. Didn't have time to post last night.

Steel wool ftl.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Have you tried wet sanding the lip instead of steel wool? You'll probily have to repaint your spokes but from the looks of your pics, I bet you could clean up those lips real good.

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
+1 for rsdeo and Greg G.

I was thinking that no matter what material was used for the wheel, the sealant was obviously screwed. Didn't have time to post last night.

Steel wool ftl.
actually I think Aaron (silvermk2) raises a valid reason for the rust... its prolly Scott's rotors/pads throwing metallic dust particles onto the the rims, and not the rim material itself.

good call Aaron!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts