Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
had the white KYB shocks on the back, I didn't think they were too stiff, but I also drive a lifted Toyota with Rancho 5000's, so I'm probably not good for judging suspensions!!! I also have the KYB GR2 (i think that's the name) struts up front, they're a little on the soft side for me, but a somewhat decent balance from front to rear.
I now have the old TRD adjustables in back, also made by KYB. Incredibly stiff on the highest setting (9), and way too soft in the lowest setting. I think that setting it around 6 is about the same as the white KYB shocks.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I have GR-2's (Grey) in my 84 and they are like stock. Not firm enough to be called a performance upgrade really. I would like to try the Gas-Adjusts in the rear, but I need to wear out the Tokicos in my 83 first.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
i got gr2 up frunt and they suck balls and i have the gas in the rear and i think thay work quite well with the power i or we have ( in refrince to norbe)
but i have never used tokicos so i dont know im going to get some HPs for the frunt thow unless I can fined some illuminas or something els. but if you got gr2s take them back.
Dave

·
Registered
153 Posts
Norbie said:
Is anyone running KYB's in their Supra? If so, tell me what you think! I just bought a set and will be installing them next week.
I'm running a set of KYB's, I think they were just OEM replacement. Perfectly fine, except that with the K-Mac springs I'm running they don't seem up to the task of the higher spring rate, so I get a slight oscillation effect similar to if the springs were cut...

HTH

·
Registered
13,187 Posts
I forgot they made gr2's. I disowned them long ago. Suck suckedy suck suck from what I hear. I have no love for stock-feeling suspension. I drive some wicked backroads late at night and even up to 70-75mph the back end feels good. I push it to the point that I can make tokicoHP's in front 'float' but the back end holds true every time. Gas-A-Justs if you want performance, end of story. Hope you dont have lots of road imperfections though. Even with a 60series tire its hard on the gluteus buttimus.

If they are indeed gr2's... take them back. Then again, this is someone who thinks tokico HP's are too soft, so I guess I dont really count...

--BillyM
Viva La Autox!

·
Registered
15,062 Posts
onedic said:
i got gr2 up frunt and they suck balls and i have the gas in the rear and i think thay work quite well with the power i or we have ( in refrince to norbe)
but i have never used tokicos so i dont know im going to get some HPs for the frunt thow unless I can fined some illuminas or something els. but if you got gr2s take them back.
Dave
you can get the tokico illuminas for the rear of an 89mr2 and get 64mm strut spacers from techno toy tuning. i think the spacers were$35 a pair shipped and the shocks are around $125 each.

http://technotoytuning.com/t3_site_pages/products/strut_spacers.html

william

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
You can also get the front AGX's from an all trac celica and do the same thing supposedly. I think the front of that car weighs alot more than a 4AGE MR2 Rear so the AGX's may work better. I plan on trying those soon as well as the KYB's that billy says are so good.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Im worried about those since all the weight difference between the Celica and the Supra (300+ pounds) is all on the front. I think the front weight of the All Trac would be closer withe the engine, transmission, axles, differential, and turbo stuff, all in the fron there its probably pretty nose heavy too.

·
Registered
13,187 Posts
*poke* You never told us which ones you had...

btw, I'm with wes on this one. You can crank the adjustment down all you want, but its still not going to make a difference to the bound stiffness. God bless bound stiffness....

--BillyM (who knows what bound stiffness is worth)

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Actually Illuminas adjust bound and rebound when you turn the knob. All the autocrossers say that isnt good but I'm not sure why.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got the GR-2's. In theory they should have been installed by now, but in practice it's been stinking hot all weekend and I just couldn't be stuffed. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts