Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the time has come to do new shocks all around, I've heard differing opinions about shock, KYB, Koni, Monroe etc. My sup is driven pretty hard, lots of canyon runs out here in So Cal, it's made it out to the track a few times and may be auto-x'd at some point. Any reccomendations?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I went with Tokico HP's for a few reasons:

1: Cheap. A full set cost me 179.28 free shipping @ www.machiii.net

2: Still available. That's a plus, eh? :)

3: I've heard they are pretty stiff. Peeps I've heard say they are like setting 4 of 5 on the Tokico Illumina line until they break-in to setting 3.

4: I needed to make a decision or I'd go crazy AND this will give me a reference when I start messing around with shocks later.

I don't know how these feel compared to my only two references, which are dead, REALLY dead, and KYB GR2's, as I haven't installed them on Project Lawn Ornament yet, but soon! The GR2's are on current daily driver. They're better than dead and really dead, but I want stiffer. I didn't know the car had KYB's until I looked. I just thought, "Oh. Nice. No blown shocks!" So the GR2's, IMO, are nothing to get excited about.

HTH

Nick

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! This board is AWSOME for getting info like this. Are the HP's adjustable?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
No the HPs are not adjustable. You can sometimes find adjustable rears but the fronts are extinct. Except on Ebay but thats not to often.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Also be aware of the new KYB "Excel-G" which are stiffer than GR2, but still not adjustable.

KYB Excel-G front, and KYB Gasajust Rear, a good budget package.

Still, the Tokico Blue HP are the simple choice.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I went with Koni's both front and rear which were for the rav4 originally. It was definitely a huge step up from blown front shocks lol.

pros:
1. solid feeling around corners
2. lesser body roll
3. fronts are adjustable from 0 degrees to 720 degrees of freedom
4. less squat in the rear

cons
1. the front strut casing nut for the shock needs to be modified in order to fit the front koni's properly. to do that, you just remove the rubber gasket thinger from the old shocks, and bore the center of the strut casing screw with a dremel. It takes awhile, but I got mine to fit and it works well.

2. rears are not easily adjustable as oppose to the KYB AGX's which have external adjustability. for the Rears you have to unmount the shocks from the car and adjust it from the bench vise

3. expensive. o_O

8641-1319 SPORT Koni sport strut front MA61 direct fit: $200

861991SPORT Koni sport shock MA61: $170

·
Registered
13 Posts
strut perch

hey man i just bought me some hp shocks too for my 85 supra and on the new struts they didn't have a perch for my springs and it was welded to my stock ones i was wondering if you know what i got to do please write back thanx

1 - 11 of 11 Posts