Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone wonders and asks, what are the largest width of wheel that will fit a MK2 Supra? Remeber stock wheels are 14X7 +8mm offset.

From my experience without lowering the car....

FRONT 17X8.5 +6mm offset will fit perfect. (17X9 0mm offset may hit the flare when car bottoms out, I might try this fit one day).

REAR 17X10 +12mm offset will fit perfect. (17X11 +12mm offset may hit the flare when car bottoms out and may come too close to the rear spring, I might try this fit one day).

I have to agree that the mesh style wheel suites this car the best.

I hope this helps those who are considering a wheel and tyre change.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
A lot of people do ask this question. But they ask it without asking the second question: What tires can I get that is the right diameter and that will fit the 10" wide wheel? Ideally 275/35R17 is the right tire. Good luck finding this size. The next closest tire size is 265/40R17.. which at best will look stretched on a 10" wide wheel.

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are correct about the tyres.

No one makes 275/35-17 at the moment, but there is a 285/30-18 so a 18X10 wheel would be perfect for the back if you go 18" wheels all the way around.

My next set of wheels will be 18".

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
YEAH.. You can find stuff all day long for 18s.

There are even more wheel companies that make wheels in 18s that will fit the mk2.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
rsdeo,

What size and brand are those wheels/tires on your '85?

Thanks,

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately the wheels on my '85 are no longer available on the market.

Wheels for the MarkII Supras are not cheap as everyone knows.

The wheels are 17X8.5 +12mm in the front and 17X9 -12 mm in the rear. 235/40-17 and 245/40-17 tyres.

I may be getting another set in the near future.

More info will be available about the wheels on the '85 and the car itself on my web site later this week if I get the site finished.

Stay tuned.

rsdeo

·
Registered
247 Posts
rsdeo, do you scrape at all when the front hits a big bump, also how close are those tires to hitting on the inside of the wheel, ie, how close are they to the strut. My car is lowered about 1" and I'm looking for wheels that won't rub. Thanks for any info.

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First my car is not lowered at all and sits at stock height. I do not scrape at all.

The front wheels are about 5mm from the strut, really close. I am running +12mm offset and if that is too close you could go 0mm offset with an 8" wheel or even try 8.5" with that 0mm offset.

The back wheels have lots of room.

If there was a lowered MKII to try them on close by I would.

rsdeo

·
Registered
247 Posts
Actually my problem is hitting on the outside of the tire, I cut about an inch off the bumpstops to keep suspension travel the same and when I'm cornering really hard and hit a bump on the outside tire it will touch the inside of the fender flare, very lightly, but it's there. This is with stock wheels and tires, which is why I'm worried. You'd never notice in daily driving and I've hit some nasty speed bumps with no scraping but as I plan to track the car I will be cornering really hard a lot and I'd rather not destroy either my tires or my flares. Thanks for the info, maybe I'll go with a +9 offset with 8" wide wheels.

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry for the confusion, but the offsets I mentioned are with the adapters (1" in the front, 1.5" in the back). So the wheels are actually +36mm and +24mm.

I hope this helps.

rsdeo

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why not go 17X10 +12mm offset in the rear? They would fit because there is still room between the back of the wheel and the rear spring.

I wouldn't cut the rubber bump stops, they are there for a reason.

rsdeo

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
i dont like the look of a tier being streched over a rim id like to see a bit of side wall past the rim lip but thats just me i havent made up my mined yet as to what i will do but im leening to my 8 -0mm in frunt and a 9 0 or -12mm in back i need to look into how fare the tier will stick out of the rim if i have a 9" rim but a 10" tier side wall to wall then a 0mm mite be just fine. the tier will sit about the same as your rim on your car but my rim will be back a bit. if i whent with the -12 i mite rub the tier on the fender as it would stick out further then your set up. i dont know at this point im still up in the air about it.

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you want to run the 17X9 wheels in the rear with the 275/40-17 tyers then I would go with the offset set to +0mm. That should clear the fender and flare. Mine is running really close.

One thing to remember concerning the rear suspension setup and the relationship to the wheel location on the MK2 only. When the suspension is compressed in, the top of the wheel goes in sideways as it goes up. Just watch someone peal out with thier Supra while standing back from the car at a distance that you can see the back of one or both the wheels. You will see what I mean.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
yea i understand what you mean about the rear trevel and i think i will have to make up mu mined on the tier choise i wont to run cuz that will efct my dicition on a 0 or -12 im hoping that some one that got the new wheels thows a fat tier in back so i can get a idea of how it will look.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I cut the bumpstops to keep wheel travel the same as stock, and don't worry, there is still some rubber left in there. I cut about 1/3 to 1/2 of the of the stops off, works great.

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It is always nice to see how something looks before you do it, but sometimes that always isn't possible.

One thing to remenber is that if the tyre is too tight on the rim then the contact patch could actualy be smaller than what is expected from that tyre because the tyre bulges.

I think a stretched tyre gives a larger contact patch.

Tyre manufacturers actually will give you specs on what rim size to use with a certian tyre. Older Perelli brouchers included such a chart for reference purposes.

What ever works and what ever turns your crank I guess.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts