Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rear seat corners or floor carpet wet? Seat belt wet? Notice a swampy smell in your Celica/Supra that you just can't find the source of? No, it's not your sunroof leaking (especially if you own a hardtop :D); chances are you have a leaking rear quarter panel window. I have been plagued with these symptoms this summer and fall, even after clearing the sunroof drains and checking the drain hoses. I finally tracked down the REAL cause in late September and fixed it, and now recently my black Supra has all the symptoms (plus mold growing on the back seat - - eww! ). I have to fix both rear quarter windows in that car now. Grr. Anyway, I thought I'd share my fix with the forum, and caution anyone who regularly parks outside to check their rear quarter windows for leaks.

You can see in my first picture where water has run from under the glass (tracks in the dust) and down the sound insulation on the wheel well. I removed the surrounding interior panels and outside trim to fix it. I went all around the window inside and snugged up the window retainer bolts.

I took all of these pics after I fixed it, when I finally had access to our camera. I was in the process of installing the exterior trim. This pic shows the huge gap between the glass and the metal lip it's supposed to seal against. I filled it with black silicone.

Here is an exterior shot of the whole window. I cut what old sealer I could from around the outside of the window, took a scrub brush and water to clean out the gap of dirt and old sealer, and let it dry overnight. The next day I filled the gap all the way around the window with a tube of black silicone (not the whole tube though). I carefully tooled it so the new silicone seal will be hidden by the trim pieces. So far it's nice and dry in my car, so it worked as a quick fix. Mind you, I had to do this outside in 50* weather, the only chance for this warm of weather before winter.

I had to do a rust repair on the bottom corner of the window frame, and that's what the black spray paint is. While I had it off anyway, I glued the black plastic laminate of the window molding back onto the metal where it was starting to separate. I used Gorilla Glue, and it's held great!

Hope this helps a lot of you out! Better pull out those rear seat side panels and look for clean trails in the dust, and avoid all the water and mold problems with my easy fix. Oh, and thanks to Sowsley for posting how to remove the rear quarter window trim pieces, as I would've probably wrecked mine had I not read his thread a couple of years ago. Now I get to do both windows in my black Supra, outside, in the cold, and hopefully in warm enough weather to cure the silicone before winter :32: .

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Nice job! It's nice to know that the dust back there is really a diagnostic tool...

·
Super Moderator
8,573 Posts
I would've taken the window out myself. The weatherstrip around the window used to be fairly cheap from Toyota.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, removing the window would be the "correct" way to fix this, but I was quickly running out of time! If I had a garage to work in, with electricity, I would've pulled the glass, bought a new windshield ribbon to stick onto the window, and reinstalled the glass. THEN I would've siliconed it from the outside. You gotta do what you gotta do, ya know? :) I'm just hoping I can get the black Supra's windows done before it rains in a couple days! Eek!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi I want to glaze the rear quarter windows of my car. has anyone done this on here, is there a write up available? I don't think I can source a new dam kit from Toyota, so what is the best way to glaze your windows to make sure you get no leaks without the dam kit?

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the window just has a ribbon of black butyl rubber around it, to seal it to the body. There are metal brackets that clamp the window to the body all around it. I just took it a step farther and siliconed the outside gap to keep water and dirt from building up in there and causing a leak.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts