Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After that last topic I had about thinking of pimping out my 5m, I decided that was not gonna happen. Too risky and just too pricey to get what I want. So if I were to get me a 7mgte from jap exchange fitted for a 5speed it would run about 700. Should I rebuild it or not? And then after, what kind of stuff do I need to replace on my car to fit the 7mgte? And these put out what? 230hp? What's the cheapest (but not insanely dangerous) way to bump that up around 280-300?

·
Registered
794 Posts
http://www.celicasupra.com/recipes.htm

There are several articles on that page for 7mgte swaps.

I believe that Reg up in canada can make you a custom harness and oil pan/pickup if you dont want to do it yourself.

As far as modifying the 7m I will deferr to the experts in that area. Maybe check out www.supraforums.com and browse through the MKIII section. I am sure there is a TON on info there.

A word to the wise about that forum. Make sure you do a really good search for info before you ask questions. You will get flammed fast if you just post something like "How do I make my 7m faster?".

Good luck

·
Registered
153 Posts
CST said:
After that last topic I had about thinking of pimping out my 5m, I decided that was not gonna happen. Too risky and just too pricey to get what I want. So if I were to get me a 7mgte from jap exchange fitted for a 5speed it would run about 700. Should I rebuild it or not? And then after, what kind of stuff do I need to replace on my car to fit the 7mgte? And these put out what? 230hp? What's the cheapest (but not insanely dangerous) way to bump that up around 280-300?
Best thing to do once you get the motor is to fit a MHG, depending on the condition of the motor, you will need to machine the block and the head to fit it properly. Also get some ARP bolts/studs. Doing these mods correctly the first time will enable you to just do bolt on type stuff, you should be able to get anywhere up to 400hp from the motor, assuming of course the internals are in decent condition already.

Basic power mods would be intake, exhaust and boost. Up the boost to around 12psi and you should be able to get at least 250rwhp without any issues. My 7m runs around 11psi boost with crap ic setup and I've put down 225rwhp here in Oz, would equate to around 250rwhp in the US I'd say.

·
BIG BOSS HOSS
4,460 Posts
CST said:
Buy a donor car! Look for a good running MKIII that is, for whatever reason, totaled.

For mods to get to 300hp: 3" mandrel bent exhaust, 3" o2 elbow, and a straight though style muffler with no chambers. you would be suprised how big of a difference in performance exhaust upgrades make for a turbocharged car. If that doesn't get you to 300 then up the boost a few psi.

Figure $700-$1000 for exhaust mods + $30 for a manual boost controler or $0 for a shimmed wastegate. And with the 7mgte in a MKII you'll have to install a K&N filter ($230) because neither MKII or MKIII stock airboxes will fit.

So for roughly $1000 to $1300 in performance mods you'll have a 3000 pound car making almost 300rwhp which is about 345 crank HP. 8)

·
Registered
166 Posts
kool im going for the same 300hp except with a 2 1/2 in exhaust maybe a 3in if i can afford it, boost controoler, afc, and custom ic will i need any other fmu at 300hp to the wheels.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts