Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a good shop to get the seat bolster leather replaced? I have looked in the northern virginia area with no luck. The katzskins company does not have the smooth leather texture that the supra seats came with. Katzskins seems to be the major supplier of leather to repair shops in my area. Any help would be nice.

Thanks

1985 P type
all options
Silver
7mgte sitting in garage

·
Registered
368 Posts
Easiest thing to do is to find one off a passenger seat, ,from the right side,,, they are interchangable,,, all the pieces are. I was able to assemble 1 perfect seat from 3 old ones last year

What colour are you looking for ????

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Henge,

Good luck finding Black P-Type leather seats. These were only available on the 83 P-Type's for only just this year only!!! 82 P-Types don't have leather interiors (just cloth), and 84 - 86's went to the Black/Gray leather interiors (most of the interior trim & the plastic seatback shell on the front seats are black, but the leather material itself is the dark gray).

83 Black P-Type Leather seats are also one of those "holy grail list" items. A junkyard that is near my place just recently acquired a Black 83 P-Type that looks like it previously had the Black Leather P-Type interior (from looking at the door panels through the window), but both the front & rear seats were replaced w/ 84 Black/Gray Cloth P-Type seats. So it's possible that the door panels & the back seat panels might be worth something... assuming that this yard does not resell the car & decides to keep it & part it.

On a more relevant topic, I am hoping that someone will be able to find some decent leather that can be installed into our MKII's & can do the correct seat pattern stitching... Am looking for someone who can use the same leather hides that Classic Soft Trim uses... And can do a decent job w/ the stitching & stitching patterns. Case in point: I've seen several examples of the custom leather interiors that Classic Soft Trim has done for the MKIII's. Very impressive & first rate. Last year @ the Vegas meet, I saw a MKIII owner from Colorado who ordered the "do-it-yourself install" leather seat kit that Jeff M. on the SOGI list was selling. From looking at the quality of the leather & the non-factory stitching... :p :p :p :oops: :roll: I was not very impressed..

·
Registered
202 Posts
Would it be very hard to just sit down a few hours a day and do it yourself with the leather if I bought some? Black cloth would even be nice tho...I'm tring for a whole black interior...I'm also looking for black carpet...which I think will be imposible to retain also! :)

·
Founding Member
6,289 Posts
As much as this topic has come up, I would think there are enough mk2 owners wanting/needing leather upholstery that committments from X number of members to purchase at X price would be sufficient to convince one of the kit makers like the one Chris E mentioned or this place in Oklahoma City http://www.leatherseats.com/ so would be willing to create a pattern for the mk2. If that doesn't work, I was planning to get an industrial upholstery machine (I just happen to have a connection to borrow one for free) and teach myself how to sew on this bluepra. But of course I don't plan on going into business doing it so that wouldn't help anyone else.

Phil D.

·
Super Moderator
10,395 Posts
well aware of that phil, what do you think I'm up to? In fact I've done one better, I've found a place thats already made them, and is willing to sell and ship just the skins. I'm working it guys, just let me get the important stuff like material matching, group buy pricing, options, do it yourself instructions, etc, etc, worked out.

A couple of questions though.... Are there any other leather interior colours for mk2s besideds black, grey and maroon? There was never a blue right? Also can anyone confirm 100 percent that besides the seat skins, leather and cloth ptype seats are identical? Please only answer that if you've torn both apart yourself, I will be doing that in the near future myself anyways though.

When I have everthing worked out I'll make a big post inquiring who and how many people are actually up for this, please don't bother posting here saying you want in yet, patience!

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Seamus,

Blue was also a available color in Leather. Having seen several Blue Leather P-Type seats in the junkyards (none at the moment), I can verify this.

About 4 years ago when I was walking around downtown Portland, OR one night w/ Keith Hart, we saw a 83 Terra Cotta P-Type that was parked on the side of the street. And I'm "pretty sure" that I saw a TC Leather interior on the P-Type seats. Same stitching pattern as our leather seats & it definitely was not Cloth (the insert "stripes" would have been pretty obvious). Unfortunately, this has been the only time I've seen a TC leather interior, can anyone verify that this is for real????? The US Spec Sales Brochures are of no help, it just mentions that leather was a option, since we already know that Black Leather was a 83 only option.

I still have my original Maroon Leather drivers seat & a Terra Cotta passenger seat sitting in my living room (my Gran Turismo seats). What do I need to check on????

·
Super Moderator
8,218 Posts
I've seen a few TC Leather l-type interiors, I can't remember any P-type one thoughs. BTW rear seat skins and door panel trims are the same betwee P and L types. The front upper seat back upholstery are different between the two.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Yes, there are blue leather p-types... I happen to own one (just thought I would make sure that point got across, because she desperately need to be reapolstered)

·
Founding Member
6,289 Posts
Yes, my bluepra has blue leather. The driver seat is totally shot so I wouldn't mind cutting off a chunk from an un-faded area and mailing it to you for color matching if you like.

Phil D

·
Super Moderator
10,395 Posts
I may take you up on that Phil. The grey, black and maroon colour matches shouldn't be a problem, its only the blue I was worried about. I don't think theres enough Tera Cota leathers out to worry about.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello guys

You can make your own leather seats by using old leather from sofa´s found on scrap yard´s. I have never been using a sewing machne before but its not that difficult to do, i made mine 2 color, by recolouring the leather. If you only have to make them black, its even easier, its just cutting it out to the right shapes, and sewing it all together. I cut up some old cloth seats and used it as guides to make the right shapes.

You can see the result on this link.

Feel free to ask about which products i used for the finish!.

http://borlax.homepage.dk/seats.jpg

·
Registered
202 Posts
.... :shock: WOW :shock: ....I love them :shock: :shock: :shock: Do you still have your old templates that you were using...I'll give you a few bucks for them so I can do the same thing. :shock:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts