Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I felt like I was thread-jacking too much on Sylvains install thread, So I'll post my own.

Very easy install. The stock bulds have the 194 base socket. Any LED bulb with this base will work for this conversion.

Before

Step one: Remove lower part of dash (all bolts) dont forget the bolts under the dimmer switch on your left, and the little acess panel on the right. Gently pry them out with a flat screw driver, they are just clipped into the dash panel.

Step two: Remove gauge cluster hood. 2 screw visible on the top, 2 screw under lower dash cover. This is why you absolutly have to remove the lower dash panel.

Step three: Remove cluster in 2 stages. First remove all the visible screws holding the cluster in place. THEN, and this is very important, wiggle your hand behind the cluster and gently remove the speedometer cable clip, then the cluster will slide right out. If you see that it just wiggles but doesn't want to come out, its because it is still attached to the spedo cable!

Now, to change these bulbs on 84+ cars you dont even need to take the cluster apart. There are no green lenses like in the 82-83, instead there are green condoms on the bulbs. You just have to remove those bulbs and replace them your LEDS. Simple as that, then reverse procedure for re-installation.

See pics.

To take apart the dash here we go.

The covers you have to pry off

The screws that hold the cluster hood under the dash panel

the screws holding the cluster on

Speedo cable clip close up

194 Socket

What I put in while I had the dash apart

The results, very nice

·
Registered
472 Posts
very nice indeed.

(coulda rolled back the odometer too. lol)

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got them off ebay. I dont know about you, but I live in Quebec, and no-one has ANYTHING anywhere in stock, specialty tools or little gadgets like this. I get everything off the net.

Its sad, I don't even go to stores anymore because they have nothing. And when I do, I drive down and cross the boarder into the states to buy my stuff.

Maybe you will have luck locally!

If not, this is where I got them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200364837416&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT

·
Registered
348 Posts
Is there any reason why you didn't replace all 8, or did you not bother putting arrows above all of them? I'm particularly curious about the turn signal bulbs.

What is the response time of the new LED's? Is your dimmer still functional?

I need to pull my dash apart soon and was considering this upgrade. I did it in my Camry about 4 years ago and there is a delay when I turn them on and my dimmer is reduced to on full blast or off. I used different LED's though.

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't think it was necessary to change the others, they are not "lite up" while the cluster is on, so I saw no use in upgrading them.

these particular models have no delay, they act very much like normal bulbs, and the dimmer works very very well.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
awesome write up with very nice pictures to follow. i have also done this mod, when Tanya made a thread in regards to another thread. i have those same "refractor" led and off ebay also. they light up VERY well!!! good job!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
you can also buy those led from superbrightleds.com. thats where I got the one for my MR2 Cluster, and now Im going to order some for the Celica Supra I just picked up. thanks for the write up OP!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hey, sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but you have any pics of how you mounted those speakers?

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
umm no but I don't want to tell you how :eekfacepalm: lol

if you must know.......

Tie wraps. Should have taken pics but I'm sure you can imagine. It looks like a trampoline attached to the face of the grill if I remember how I did it correctly. It works. I'm still letting it brew how I'm going to do it fo realz.

·
Registered
155 Posts
anyone done a similar thing with a digital dash ?,or am i stuck with the shitty green? Different colours would look nuts on different gauges!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
The problem is that the dash is green too, so you'd need to do more than change the bulbs. Guido looks like he has solved that problem though perhaps.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Ya I seen yours too, but it still leaves some of the green showing, near the Fuel Temp icons and KM's. If they weren't cut out, I'd think about it. Maybe a sticker with the Icons and text would work better?

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 31 Posts