Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Found some great info for our cars in my search on how to fix the "flash too fast" problem with using LED's in turn signal applications.

First of all, give credit where it's due: I found this information here at pirate4x4.com.

The reason your blinker flashes too fast when you are using an LED bulb is the lamp failure circuit on the flasher cannot differentiate between the very low draw from your LED bulb, and NO draw from a regular bulb that has burnt out. This causes it to flash very fast to alert you of the problem it thinks exists.

Odds are pretty good you have a green flasher number 81980-22070 like this in your Supra...

If that's the case, you can easily fix the flash too fast problem by following the instructions in the picture below...

You will open the lamp failure circuit that resistor is in by removing it. This disables the circuit and allows the flasher to operate normally with an LED bulb or with a burnt out bulb. Keeping this in mind, check your blinkers once in awhile because you will no longer receive a warning inside the car when a bulb goes out.

This method has been tested with my flasher in my 85 and it works like a charm!

Some of you (possibly earlier models?) may have a black flasher, number 81980-16010 pictured below...

If that's the case, that's a bummer but it's still something you can fix. The black flasher and the green one have the same pigtail connector and are interchangeable. Consensus from where I got all this info from is that it's easier to replace your flasher with the green variety and go from there.

So you have two options, source a green flasher number 81980-22070 and mod it as shown above, or you can purchase a pre-configured green flasher from here listed as "Toyota green" that you can drop right in.

Well that's about all. Hope this info helps some of you as it did me!

Edit: Looks like my old image host deleted the pictures for this thread on me. They have been re-hosted and fixed now.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
We replaced flashers on foreign trucks a couple years back when a customer would want LED stop/turn/tail lamps in lieu of the standard lights that came with the truck because the LED's would flash too fast. They are obsolete now, I haven't seen one used in better than a year due to foreign manufactures systems became more advanced, and the new systems now work with LED lights.

What we used when we had the lighting error was a Grote LED flasher. I don't have the part number for it at the moment, but can get it and update this post if needed. They are three pin, and do not need to be modified, just swap em out and your lights work without the issue.

*Edit* Grote LED Flasher #44892

Also, another thread at Pirate 4x4 on this topic with info...
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/suzuki/986900-making-aftermarket-leds-blink.html

·
Premium Member
5,551 Posts
This should be a sticky in the FAQ section. I just snipped one end of that resistor with a small pair of wire cutters to open the circuit and now my turn signals work normal with LEDs. Beats the hell out of paying $15 - $30 for a new flasher that's made for LEDs.

·
Premium Member
5,667 Posts
YEP! ray85p modded his flasher for me and we traded. Works fine!
The hassle was to get the speedometer cable back into the head.Pull the grommet below the master cylinder.
[URL=http://s514.photobucket.com/user/ddd228/media/temporary_zpsoofffm2v.jpg.html][/URL]

My tip is to RIP the flasher from it's holder with force. I can't see it in there at all.
I have LED brake lights and turn signal lights.
BAM! BAM! On and off. Also,no volt meter finger wagging.(Stock alternator).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts