Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Road Atlanta didn't go as planned, I had to miss the race due to family illness so I sent my team with the car and watched from a far. I was quietly confident as we have four very good drivers and the car has run flawlessly all year.
25 laps in the car lost drive and the team pulled the diff and found the carrier was slopping around and later noticed a loose bolt on the carrier. This rear end was "professionally" rebuilt at a shop before the Topeka race.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1c82 by brett_85p, on Flickr
They put the old junkyard diff in and went back out and had a good rest of day, Nathan put down a 1:50 flat, 2 seconds quicker than two years ago with essentially the same car.
We were well out of contention so Sunday was just for fun and my guest drivers from California took the car out and unfortunately ended up deep in the tire wall going into turn one.

59812059774__6EF8F5C2-5613-4344-99B4-1D91B9622E30 by brett_85p, on Flickr
IMG_3396 by brett_85p, on Flickr
IMG_3402 by brett_85p, on Flickr
They got the car back out with the left front wheel 3 inches back from where it should be and actually managed to run at race pace turning 1:52- 1:55 second laps.

I'm not sure yet if the car is repairable, it's sitting in the trailer on the drive now and it's snowing. I will strip it down and see if I can push it back and reinforce the frame. If this works I will be looking for some fenders that may well come from a totally different car as there are no 78 Celica left in the midwest junkyards.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Wow ! I'm sorry that happened! you're a bit of a hike but I know where there's one sitting in someone's driveway here in Jersey...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Wow ! I'm sorry that happened! you're a bit of a hike but I know where there's one sitting in someone's driveway here in Jersey...
If it's being parted out I'd take the fenders and can probably get them picked up and brought to a Lemons race. If I need the whole car I'll likely build something else.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Celica is a write off, needs a new frame rail and finding one without rust in the midwest is impossible.
It's had a good 7 years and was getting pretty beat up, stripping it now and I have a new and different chassis lined up, moving to the Datsun side with a 280zx that will receive Turbo Ecotec power.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts