Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

41 - 60 of 1216 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
More disassembly of the Black car.

Differential is out. The crossmember nuts are supposed to take a 19mm socket - with the rust I hammered an 18mm 6-point socket on and prayed. As you can see, it worked!

Here is more evidence that I made a good choice in finding a new chassis.

Fuel lines

I visited Pull a Part yesterday and scores Celica struts: $50 for two degrees of negative camber!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
The entire wire harness is in the passenger compartment. In a couple of days is will become a minimal race harness - goodbye 25lb of wire!

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Are both cars 85's? If not, I suggest using the 85 ECU/electronics to get the most power.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
The good chassis is an 84, but did not come with any wiring or electronics. The 85 parts from the first car will all be swapped in. I hope to have a custom fuse/switch/relay panel within easy reach of the driver seat. Should get a good start on it Thursday, along with removing all of the sound deadening material (I'm going to weigh it this time).

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
Had a little fun with dry ice again! Some jobs are just entertaining :)

30 minutes and a little hammering later, voila, clean floor.

Tomorrow I'll get a weight on all of the sound deadening material - we removed well over 20lbs.

UPDATE on weight of material: 25lb

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
After trying to remove the right rear window using a gorilla method and shattering it I spent a few bucks for a "piano wire" tool at Harbor Freight. The Left rear window came out cleanly in 3 minutes. I'll be removing both windshields soon.

After a little cleaning I found a sticker under all the grime. It's nice to have confirmation that I have an LSD diff. Max Grip rebuild and new bearing/seals will be going in.

Three hours of wire work barely scratched the surface, but I'm glad that it's being done right.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Are you keeping track of all weight removed? Any guesses to when your project will be racing? Coming to Loudon.... You make me want to do this but my dock takes front seat for all my extra cash. Looks like you are having fun resurrecting Mickey Mouse Motors!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Target weight is 2500# including the cage. Target race is Carolina Motorsports park in the Spring. If everything goes well maybe I'll bring it to NH next year.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
I've been following LeMons for years in Car and Driver.

I just now read all the rules.

What a hoot!

"This aint the damn SCCA" really cracked me up, as I used to race SCCA.

Good luck with the build. I'll keep following you.

Jim

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
After taking a few days off to drive to Lincoln NE and race autocross Nationals, I arrived home to find Energy Suspension bushings and a BillyM shift kit! The engine is coming out next weekend, and will be freshened up with a new timing belt, front main seal, and various other gaskets that are leaking.

There was a beautiful 84 Supra in SM class at Nationals. I wish I had my camera with me.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Today I took a deep breath and started the rear wheel well project. It's going to be a long process! I removed some riveted and sealed sheet metal. It was keeping water out but I need the area to be structurally solid to take hours of racing.
Believe it or not when I bought it the rear area was patched with Tiger Hair. Leaked like crazy. Forming and riveting heavy sheet metal gave it some strength.
Congrats on your second purchase. It looks great!
What I drug home then:

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
The rivet and seal repair that you did was certainly a step forward and kept the water out. What I found when I removed the soundproofing was that the rust extended all the way from the rear wheel wells to the driver seat along the seam between the frame and body. The best part of this project is that I'll be taking the entire Black car apart and getting to know it intimately, which really helps when you have to replace parts during a race.

What the heck is Tiger Hair?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
I learn something new every day.

Fuel tank is out of the black car. It's coated with some type of rubberized spray, and the inside looks fairly clean.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
Tiger Hair was a mixture of chopped 'glass and resin, sold in a can. You took the amount you'd think you'd need, mixed it with the catalyst, and packed it in to places you wanted to "patch".

When I was making fiberglass bumper replacements for my '73 Trans Am, I used it for reinforcing areas in the front bumper "nose cone" that would have a lot of stress on them, like where I glassed in the aluminum mounts I made to attach the headlight buckets, and the brackets I used to attach the bumper to the car.

Jim

·
Registered
103 Posts
Fuel tank is out of the black car. It's coated with some type of rubberized spray, and the inside looks fairly clean.
The tank was a good score at a local wrecking yard as the original was swiss cheese around the seam. Didn't realize till if filled the tank.
This is obviously a lot of labor, more than I realized from what you described. How many races do you get out of one assuming no wrecks?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Assuming no wrecks, it could easily run 10 races or more. Our current car has been hit several times by other cars, and flew into a tire wall last year - we just replace body panels and keep it alive. It has 10+ races on it... and approximately 6 engines (we installed a "new junkyard motor yesterday). Fortunately I enjoy working on cars, and the project keeps me from other more expensive hobbies :)

41 - 60 of 1216 Posts