Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1281 - 1297 of 1297 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
I'm thinking that the clutches create the heat with all of the turns and changes in directions.:oops:
You toture- tested the [email protected]* the transmission fluid starts to break down also. ATF.I can rig up a temp measure on the diff CASE to see what happens on a long freeway drive. Not the same, however. I'll use a multi meter with a temp probe. Simple.
Curiosity.
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
8,621 Posts
It's basic thermodynamics. Anything with friction turns that friction into heat. If the rear diff losses 2% of power going thru it the diff has to shed 2% of the engines power in cooling. So if you're running a lot of power (i.e. speed) over long durations you need lots of cooling. That's probably why Toyota stuck a factory diff cooler on German MkIVs, because they assume some German guy was going to go flat out on the autobahn for an hour. In the US cruising at like 70mph requires like 30-40hp so your cooling load is fairly low.

Most synthetic oils can do high 200s to low 300 deg F. You can also over cool things. Oil goes from it doesn't flow at low temp to it doesn't have enough shear capacity at high temp. Like porridge you want it right in the middle.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I had similar diff problems as Peter in my MX73 Cressida, went countless races on a stock LSD, occasionally it did spit some oil out of the vent. went to a tru trac and it lasted only 3-4 hours and it ate the R&P.
replacement diff did the same. I built a similar cooler setup and installed a temp guage. running a true trac the temps with just the pump running are about 175-185, if I turned the pump off the temp shoots up to 220, which is the highest I let it go. I also installed a blower fan for insurance and it gets too much cooling, will drop to 140 easily.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,284 ·
Wow, I wasn't aware that the Trutrac added more heat! It's good to hear that the cooler and additional volume keep the heat manageable.

·
Registered
241 Posts
yeah, LSD action generates heat, be it gears or clutch-plates slipping. Otherwise that heat is generated externally with inside tyre spinning on ground.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,288 ·
The race car was crashed at VIR in its 4th event. There is a kink in the left frame rail right under the strut tower. Derek didn't have the time or motivation to straighten it out. I'm thinking that it might be best to cut the roofs off both cars, move the cage to the white car (very little rust), and start with a straight chassis. I also like the look of the hatch better.
This will be a project for later in the year.

Right now I'm nearing the finish line getting GB2 ready for the track. I started the engine in the new chassis a few days ago, and now I'm painting body panels (same IMSA theme), rewiring a new fuel system, and knocking small chores off the list each day. Since this photo was taken the sunroof has been closed and sealed, the fenders, hood, and doors are painted white and ready for installation, and the fuel system is finished.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,290 ·
Something functional, something fun...

I have a couple of weeks off from teaching so I'm spending lots of time with Grumpy 2. Today was wiring day for the new fuel system. A 3-position switch to the fuse/relay box, then 12ga wires back to the pumps. A power cable from the main panel to the fuel fuse box. Also wired the new fuel level sender.
A couple of wires are not connected because I taped and wrapped the wire bundle before working at the back and forgot which was which. oops.

I decided that I liked some color on the hood and I had old rattle cans.. so:

·
Super Moderator
10,626 Posts
No tripod on the shifter, but the swan-neck lever of the SC300 puts it in a perfect position.
Champcar will require me to build a bulkhead between the driver and hatch area, so the clear pipe shouldn't be an issue.
Cool! I had actually never seen an SC300 w58 before, I just assumed it was the same as the mk4 one. It is not, yet another shifter housing variant!

It's in between the mk3 w58 and the is300 w55.

Awesome progress on GB2, I'm jealous. Havn't had time for anything but basic maintenance for awhile now sadly.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,293 ·
Are you running multiple pumps for a back up or a reserve system?
Both, actually. The "Primary" pump draws directly from the cell and sends fuel to the rail. The "Backup" setting runs two pumps, one that fills the surge tank and the reserve pump from the surge tank to the fuel rail. The third setting is "Reserve only" (from surge tank) for when the Primary pump drains the fuel cell. The surge tank should have enough fuel to get back to the pit.

Yesterday the car moved under its own power for the first time. The next big job is designing and building aero around the OE front bumper cover.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,294 ·
Getting closer

After using old-style hood pins forever I decided to add Aero latches to the hood.

I started disassembling the hatch from the brown car and found that it has way more rust that I want to deal with, so I decided to refurbish the original. After removing duct tape, 7 years of grime and exhaust, and banging out a couple of dents I dissected another pound of metal from it and started sanding.

I also found out that Lexan is still freaking expensive. After looking up some information about cleaning Lexan I ordered a product call Plexus and gave the plastic a good wash with dish soap. It is entirely functional after cleaning with soap and I'll let you know how it looks after using the real cleaner. I cleaned the spoiler and painted the mounts in orange and red... because why not.

Then it was on to the project I've been dreading - new front aero. I really want to use the OE bumper cover with a splitter. This cover is held on and supported by a variety of stamped metal parts and about 30 bolts, many of which are difficult to access. I plan to fabricate a custom bumper from 2" angle and a 2" square tube. Then comes the hard part - designing a splitter system that will be easily removable.

And one from the other side...

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,295 ·
Almost ready for test day. This car looks so much better with the OE front bumper cover! I added some thin plywood between the lower front lip and the chassis - essentially replacing the OE plastic under tray. It "should" act as a minimal splitter.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Almost ready for test day. This car looks so much better with the OE front bumper cover! I added some thin plywood between the lower front lip and the chassis - essentially replacing the OE plastic under tray. It "should" act as a minimal splitter.

Would look better with Head light covers in place. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,297 ·
Would look better with Head light covers in place. Just my opinion.
I agree, and it will happen. I need to design a permanent mount inside the headlight space that will accept both headlight covers and optional light setup for night racing. I'm bringing a couple of sheetmetal covers to tape in place for one session to see what happens with better aero.

1281 - 1297 of 1297 Posts