·
Registered
7,106 Posts
That is a serious mod Seamus.
Hats off to you for this successfull install

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I am literly just looking at my PC with my mouth hanging open......awesome job dude, I am speachless except to say wow.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
$5k of parts cleared the border today... :ugh: Paying the duty on that was not fun.

·
Registered
351 Posts
You guys have done an amazing job, opened my eyes to what I might be facing this summer on my mk2, it wasn't near as bad as the one you guys took on but I know I'm going to get some nasty surprises. Also how common is it to find good hatch's there in b.c.? I've been on the search for 2 years and counting.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Two sets of SSR's, a grab bag of goodies from Mark, and a true trac. I'm heading to the coast mid-april. Expect more details at that time. It's a bit difficult to espouse about how awesome my car is when i'm 1,600kms from it.
Oooooh, what kinda goodies did you nab?

--billyM

·
Super Moderator
10,519 Posts
You guys have done an amazing job, opened my eyes to what I might be facing this summer on my mk2, it wasn't near as bad as the one you guys took on but I know I'm going to get some nasty surprises. Also how common is it to find good hatch's there in b.c.? I've been on the search for 2 years and counting.
Bad? Not for Canada, this car is well above average. Any Canadian mk2 that is in the shape that this one was should be restored imo. I'm sure your car is worse then you realize. See my 86 DD Cali Special restoration thread, I think I had just as much or more time into fixing rust on that car as this one. You want bad, see Canadian_pyscho's LType resto thread lol

Good hatches are pretty hard to come by here. What we lack in harsh winter conditions, we make up for with tons of rain. Plus mk2s are so old now its pretty rare for thme to show up in a wrecking yard. Even if you get a Canadian one that looks rust free, it likely won't be once you look inside it and get the glass out. If thats what you're after, you should be looking much further south.

·
Super Moderator
10,519 Posts
Dean's been here for a week and a half now, another week and a half to go. So much being done we don't have time to post our progress lol

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
There's been significant progress. I don't think there will be an update until the car is finished.

·
Super Moderator
10,519 Posts
There's been significant progress. I don't think there will be an update until the car is finished.
Yup, thats about it. The car is actually almost done. I've been working on this car continuously all year, I could probably spend the next year posting everything thats been done lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've got an '85 P-type that I picked up here in Montana. (about an hour south of Canada) found this gem for sale, body is in excellent condition and everything under the hood is fantastic as well, with only 112k miles this was a huge shock to find this car in this condition. Only issues are cosmetic from sun damage. Interior vinyl and plastics are trashed from the sun as well as the paint on the roof and hood. I knew a great deal when I saw it and snagged it. 2 weeks after purchasing the car, I crumpled the front driver's side fender :suicide:. Planning to do a full restore myself as well as a possible 2JZ transplant. When I get some time, I'll put up a thread with pics. I got lucky finding this in Montana, I can only imagine the difficulties finding good mk2s and parts in Canada. I think mine was brought up here from California by a military guy.

·
Super Moderator
10,519 Posts
OK, finally, UPDATE TIME!!!

Honestly, it would take me like, 3 months of evenings to document everything we've done this last year. I just don't have the time... but I do have a shiny new Samsung S4 phone camera! So I decided to take a shot at being internet famous. Well not really, but I did make a video update covering everything that has been done! Yes, its long (whaaaat me babble on for a long time? no way), but theres all sorts of good info in there. Stuff I really need to put into a proper posted update at some point.

It got divided into 2 parts, by accident or limitation of the camera, not sure which. Recorded and uploaded in 720p, Hidef that sucker!
Part 1

Which IMMEDIATLY flows into Part 2. See next post.

Notes\Corrections:
- The plan was always to have Dean handle the mechanical side and I do the fabrication work for IC & Exhaust (besides the resto work). He came down for about 4 or 5 weeks this year and got the motor wired and as much else done as possible. We were hoping to get it reliable to make the drive home, and then he could take his time making the engine bay as pretty or as functional as he would like. I ended up painting it as we had some repair work to do in there anyways, and I ended up doing more fabrication\installation then planned, but this engine bay could still use some beautification. The engine bay picked up some nasty oxidization over a winter of being stored in a tent in my back yard.
- the car is dusty in the vid, the paint turned out very nice.
- We converted our T3 Camber plates to studs instead of annoying bolts, forgot to mention that.
- Wheels are actually SSR Fins, not EXC, brain fart.
- T3 Tie rod ends don't fit stock steering arms (not tie rods, another brain fart). The main benefit of them, assuming you don't have a problem bending stock tie rods, is that if you can't run RCAs to account for your drop, you can use these to dial out the bump steer at least by stacking spacers on the bolt end. Not an issue for us as you can see in the vid.
- Energy Poly strud rod bushings installed up front too. Stock strut rods provide more then enough castor adjustment for performance applications on these cars in my experience\opinion.
- We had to change the Toyota clutch line NUT not the hard line, to get the Earls line to fit properly. Toyota line nuts aren't threaded all the way down and earls fittings are short.
- Running a stock 2jz mk4 fuel pump

81 - 100 of 200 Posts