Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Lets Talk 1JZGTE + Standalone, best option?

7K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Whackysupraman 
#1 ·
After going too some of the local JDM dealers, I've seen some 1JZ-GTE's with cut harnass's and auto trannies for 1k Can. Now I know that we can adapt a W-58 from the 2JZ-GE too fit. I've seen some of those too, so I'm sure it won't cost much too get one.

Now the tricky part is getting a full uncut harnass and ECU. I think along with the benefits of tunability from a standalone it might actually end up being the same cost as importing a harnass and ECU from Australia or getting a half cut, since they dont' seem too be really big on motor sets for the 1JZ-GTE around here.

So if we talk AEM-EMS, I've heard the 2JZ tuning stuff is almost a direct port over too the 1JZ, I'd think is the best option over say a haltech or so.
You have more options too set proper signal to drive the stock gauges with a standalone right?

Opinions? I'm thinking of going 1JZ-GTE Mk2 with a standlone over the winter. (Thinking being the operative word)

#2 ·
I don't see why not. The biggest question I'd ask is if you feel up to tuning on a standalone? This question really determines how much success you'll have with this. You do see some "barely used" AEM ECU for sale from people who answered wrong here. Don't forget some of the extra cost with the AEM to do it right (wideband, MAP sensor, etc etc). Also the 2JZ main engine harness is really expensive from Toyota like US$900 discounted (quite a bit more than the 7M unfortunately) if you are planning on doing that for your wiring. IIRC correctly you can scale the instrument outputs, although Toyota gauges are all pretty standard TMK.

#3 ·
Remember that all 1JZ engine harnesses are designed for RHD vehicles, so it will be much too short for a LHD Supra. This makes it a painful and difficult process to use a factory 1JZ harness. Go the standalone I say, but don't even think about tuning it yourself - take it to a reputable performance workshop who are experiences with late-model turbo engines. Tuning a sophisticated, high-powered turbo engine is not for the backyard tinkerer.

Don't worry about instruments, that part is easy with or without the factory ECU/harness.

#4 ·
Don't forget some of the extra cost with the AEM to do it right (wideband, MAP sensor, etc etc). Also the 2JZ main engine harness is really expensive from Toyota like US$900 discounted (quite a bit more than the 7M unfortunately) if you are planning on doing that for your wiring. IIRC correctly you can scale the instrument outputs, although Toyota gauges are all pretty standard TMK.
Well assuming I don't go with a wideband and use the standard 3 wire 02 and use the factory airflow meter probably can keep costs down. I don't see why I need a 2JZ harnass, I was thinking on extending a cut RHD loom and splicing into the standalone output lines I need, maybe a Haltech would be better for this purpose?

Remember that all 1JZ engine harnesses are designed for RHD vehicles, so it will be much too short for a LHD Supra. This makes it a painful and difficult process to use a factory 1JZ harness. Go the standalone I say, but don't even think about tuning it yourself - take it to a reputable performance workshop who are experiences with late-model turbo engines. Tuning a sophisticated, high-powered turbo engine is not for the backyard tinkerer.

Don't worry about instruments, that part is easy with or without the factory ECU/harness.
Well I figured the advantage of the AEM is all of the pre-tuning that it comes with as compared too a system that carries no values with it. I certanily would want too feel confident with the fuel tuning of the engine before I did anything, blowing stuff up would not be so fun, but I know some guys with DSM's on Haltech and they were able too handle setting the values themselves without exploding stuff.

I guess I should look into the difficulty and required materiels from other people running RHD coverted 1JZ's on standalones too get a better idea.

Thanks for the feedback!

#5 ·
Some things I would do some research on is to see if the 1JZ harness plug is the same shape and pinouts as a 2JZ harness. I'd kinda doubt they would be the same. I'm not even sure if you could get just the 2JZ harness plugs to rewire it (a Fields harness might work here). I would recommend the wideband highly for the AEM. This way you can use the autotune feature. You don't need the entire fancy sensor package with the display and such, just the sensor. The other stuff like GM MAP sensors are really cheap. From what I understand the 2JZ base maps are good enough to barely get the car to run. They're not really good enough to just plug'em in and go a 100k miles with perfect driveability. Basically they're are just a starting point so you can tune from there.

I would recommend a vist to the AEM board and ask around. They've got a lot of people with a wealth of knowledge on the ECU. Plus you can download the software and manual and look it over. I think if you're not planning a monster hp car finding a stock ECU would be cheaper and less hassle. Where you'd find a loose 1JZ ECU would be a good question though :)

#6 ·
hey u say u can get 1jz's in canada for cheap? i cant find a jdm importer in canada can u tell me the name of the importer or the phone number or so, once i find a celica or supra shell that is worth fixing up im going to do a 1jz swap thnx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.