Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This engine dosen't sound too shabby...

has anyone researched any on this swap?
so far I've found out that it doesn't come with a standard transmission, at least in the US/Canadian area, but I remeber hearing about an adapter plate. Ive seen pictures of these engines swapped into mk1 celicas and the like.

just wondering. wanted to get more info so I could get a rough idea of pricing... Im just assessing all of my options for a powerplant, since I plan on giving my car an engine, or an engine rebuild next year.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Yes it will fit, quite easily in fact. I've seen a couple of Mk3 Supras with 1UZ conversions, and the Mk2 has a bigger engine bay so there shouldn't be a problem. Personally I think this would make a great cruiser; the 1UZ is silky smooth and torquey, and it sounds fantastic with a good dual exhaust system. Unfortunately they get expensive very quickly once you start modifying them, but they're capable of insane power with turbos.

There is no factory manual transmission for the UZ series engines, but there are several engineering shops in Australia who will sell you a custom bellhousing to bolt up a W58 or R154.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
i remember some stuff on the list about the 1uz, but can someone refresh my memory about power, and what vehicles they came from?

are they a USDM engine, or JDM?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I think they came in the lexus ls400 (not the 300 that had v6) in the USA. Maybe some trucks too? I remember a while back on the yahoo site someone posted some sounds wave files of one revving with some custom exhaust work very sweet sounding!

·
Registered
85 Posts
The 1UZFE is the all aluminum alloy DOHC V8 issued in LS400's amd SC400's by Lexus. Not to be confused w/the 2UZ truck V8 which is an Iron block.
They are approx 40 lbs lighter than the 2JZGTE and produce 280HP/300Ftlbs of torque in stock form and will push 320HP with breathing mods alone (port work, induction and headers).
The torque curve is flat and they are smooth as silk as Norbie mentioned.
TomD posted to the Yahoo list that they can be had cheaply, but every one I ever found here in the states was in the $4-5K range with ECU and trans.
There is someone in NZ that did the swap into a MkII and sent me some pics but damifino where they are now!!
Jamie <-- likes her 6 cyl but misses the old days of V8 power and "instant" torque. Then there is the twin screw blower option at 8 psi any time you want it,... Hehe,... "Stupid fast!!"

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Here in Australia the 1UZ is the best bang-for-your-buck engine swap option at the moment. The JZ series engines are popular now so the price has gone through the roof. 1UZ's are still cheap though; a front cut can be had in the AU$2-2.5k range. Convert that to US dollars and you can see why I think it's a great idea! If I didn't already have a 2JZ in my Supra I would be seriously considering this myself. :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm glad I got so many positive resopnses on this engine... because the idea has been stabbing me since last october.

I'm glad I can keep my w58, cause I love it.
hey norbie... any idea what the bellhousings go for in Australia?

well, Ive got a year to plan it... so it just might happen! :wink:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks norbie...

... ... ...

*looks at picture*

*drool*

·
Registered
138 Posts
this idea intrigues me very much, any other info?

·
Registered
58 Posts
only thing I would want to know is what kinda engine mount mods have to be done? other than that is sounds like a sweet swap for the car. torque is good for bigger cars.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Engine mount mods would be similar to what I did with the 2JZ, ie grind the brackets off the crossmember and weld in new ones to suit the alloy engine mounts on the new engine. Not a difficult task if you know how to weld.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
is the sump in the right place?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Like most Toyota engines, there are several versions with different sump configurations. Apparently the Crown has a front-sump engine (which is what you need for a Mk2), but there are probably others also.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
so basically, instead of a chevy v8, this is what we v8 fans should be looking at?

it sounds like a sweet engine, im going to have to put some effort into finding one when i get some cash rolling in.

·
Registered
138 Posts
yesss.... i love tourqe :D this engine sounds sweet as hell, i have driven an sc400 and that thing was a beast! i have never thought about putting one ina supra so im very happy i found this thread!

·
Registered
123 Posts
This is the engine swap I wanted to do. On my budget though, it made a lot more sense for me to go 1GGTE as it bolts straight into my car.

The manual conversion was the straw that broke the camels back in my case, as it was going to work out an extra overhead that a uni student just can't swallow and still be able to get the car on the road in a decent period of time.

I recommend you go here: http://www.planetsoarer.com/sounds/sounds.html and make sure you have a box of tissues handy ;) Download some of the last sounds :p

1 - 20 of 45 Posts